Countryhippie

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
Massachusetts
Hello!

I live in Massachusetts and have 6 eight week old chickens (two cockerels and four hens). I had them out in the coop last night and our temps dipped to the low 40s overnight. They have only been out in there coop for about a week and this is the lowest it has gotten. When I went out to open the coop door I checked their water and it was freezing cold (I have a water bowl). I was thinking of buying a heated water bowl because while I can heat water and bring it out to them it will get cold quickly given I live in New England and its only going to get colder. Do any of you have heated water bowls, if so should I get one? If not what are some other solutions for keeping the water warm, because they won't drink the cold water.

Also do you have any suggestions on how to make the coop warmer, they were on there roosts this morning and when I touched them, they felt alittle cold. Is that normal for them to feel cold on the top of the feathers?

Thank you all for your help, I am new to owning chickens and this group has been incredible helpful so far in my journey.

They will drink a heated water bowl FAST... Then again I do have 26 chickens and ducks 🤣 if you have an extra 100$ this is what I would suggest to save you time in the long run: A large metal waterer for chickens (which you can easily get at Tractor supply) and a base heater (which you can also get at Tractor supply). It will save you on time and help out a ton when your on vacation. They will plow through a heated water bowl.

And also as far as keeping them warmer goes, they are fine 😁 I know what it's like to worry about chickens... ( It happens every night with my beautiful flock and I'm also thinking twice about if I shut the rabbit coop [which I always do but I still get concerned about it 🤣]). You can totally go ahead and stick a heat lamp in there but as far away as you can get it so that they are still growing more feathers as it gets colder, but have the heat lamp just in case... Annnnddd itll probably ease your conscience 🤣🤣

Hello!

I live in Massachusetts and have 6 eight week old chickens (two cockerels and four hens). I had them out in the coop last night and our temps dipped to the low 40s overnight. They have only been out in there coop for about a week and this is the lowest it has gotten. When I went out to open the coop door I checked their water and it was freezing cold (I have a water bowl). I was thinking of buying a heated water bowl because while I can heat water and bring it out to them it will get cold quickly given I live in New England and its only going to get colder. Do any of you have heated water bowls, if so should I get one? If not what are some other solutions for keeping the water warm, because they won't drink the cold water.

Also do you have any suggestions on how to make the coop warmer, they were on there roosts this morning and when I touched them, they felt alittle cold. Is that normal for them to feel cold on the top of the feathers?

Thank you all for your help, I am new to owning chickens and this group has been incredible helpful so far in my journey.
Hey! Heated water bottles are fine. I hope you have a awesome journey and im happy to help with any questions you might have! And yes, it is normal for them to feel a little cold on the top of their feathers

And also as far as keeping them warmer goes, they are fine 😁 I know what it's like to worry about chickens... ( It happens every night with my beautiful flock and I'm also thinking twice about if I shut the rabbit coop [which I always do but I still get concerned about it 🤣]). You can totally go ahead and stick a heat lamp in there but as far away as you can get it so that they are still growing more feathers as it gets colder, but have the heat lamp just in case... Annnnddd itll probably ease your conscience 🤣🤣
Thanks for the info! I actually do not want to put a heat lamp in the coop, I am terrified of it exploding and starting a coop fire, this happened to a family friend. Luckily she was there when it happened so none of her chickens got hurt. I would rather stay away from the heat lamp due to that.

They will drink a heated water bowl FAST... Then again I do have 26 chickens and ducks 🤣 if you have an extra 100$ this is what I would suggest to save you time in the long run: A large metal waterer for chickens (which you can easily get at Tractor supply) and a base heater (which you can also get at Tractor supply). It will save you on time and help out a ton when your on vacation. They will plow through a heated water bowl.
DANG thats a large flock! I will definetly look into this, but so far my chickens haven't drank much of the water bowl down at all. Thats why I am worried they won't drink because its so cold. When I added the warm water they all went over and started drinking. I was thinking maybe a larger heated water bowl so they have more. The problem is I do not have electricity in the coop so I would need to run a large extension cord out there to do this.

DANG thats a large flock! I will definetly look into this, but so far my chickens haven't drank much of the water bowl down at all. Thats why I am worried they won't drink because its so cold. When I added the warm water they all went over and started drinking. I was thinking maybe a larger heated water bowl so they have more. The problem is I do not have electricity in the coop so I would need to run a large extension cord out there to do this.
Ohh, you could always make a hole in the chickencoop and put the cord right there, (for later if youd like) thats what we used to do with our old coop.

Thanks for the info! I actually do not want to put a heat lamp in the coop, I am terrified of it exploding and starting a coop fire, this happened to a family friend. Luckily she was there when it happened so none of her chickens got hurt. I would rather stay away from the heat lamp due to that.
Sounds good, you're going to need one or something to provide light in the winter if you want to lay through the winter though.

Back
Top Bottom