Heating a nest box?

Sueby

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Apr 23, 2019
CT
Hey all. So I am recovering from 2 spine surgeries & we are (finally) expecting some snow here in CT. DH is away at work, or working 12 hour days. I cannot go outside in the snow to collect eggs so I was thinking about using my heated seed mats under the nest box material to keep the eggs from freezing for a couple days at a time till someone can collect them. Can anyone come up with a reason why that would be a bad idea? I don’t want the eggs to freeze, I finally have chickens laying again & I certainly don’t want to create any egg eaters.

Thoughts?

my heated seed mats under the nest box material to keep the eggs from freezing
This is exactly how my nest boxes are permanently set up. I have them plugged into a switch controlled receptacle that I turn on in the morning if the temps are going to be below 28F. It works well.

I don’t use a heater for nesting boxes. I see your in CT and though im not sure what area, none of my eggs have ever been frozen and end up fine. Best of luck though!

I don’t use a heater for nesting boxes. I see your in CT and though im not sure what area, none of my eggs have ever been frozen and end up fine. Best of luck though!
Thank you! It doesn’t happen often, but I have had an egg or 2 freeze & crack on super cold days. If I could get out there every day I wouldn’t worry about it, especially this winter, but I think overnight is where I would run into issues. It looks like it’s going to be in the 40s next week so I’m hoping the snow melts & this isn’t an issue! DH put the mat out but I won’t plug it in unless more snow is coming & I won’t be able to get out there. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom