Heating coop/when can they be moved to coop

marilyngurl22

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2015
What are the recommendations for heating your coop? We live in central NC so the winters aren't too bad. I'm itching to get them out to their coop but didn't know what I should do to heat the coop. And how old/what average temp does it need to be to move them from brooder to coop? They are almost 6 weeks and I've found a few out of the brooder and exploring the room they are in. I have deer netting I can use over the brooder to keep them in but when should I move them out? Thanks!!

Last edited:
at 6 weeks, they're probably pretty close to fully feathered, you should pretty much be able to move them on out there. If it's going to be super cold at night you could do a heat lamp, just make sure you fasten it at least three ways, they are a fire hazard....

Do you have other chickens in the coop/run already? if so, put up some type of divider to keep the smaller ones safe from the bigger ones until they get about the same size. Make it with fencing so they can see each other though

I live in Northern Wyoming, between 3 mountain ranges and not too far from Yellowstone Park. Here we KNOW winter. I don't heat my coop at all. I haven't insulated it either. Chickens do very well with cold as long as their coop is well ventilated with no drafts directly on them. That lovely down and feather coat they wear keeps them pretty comfortable. They suffer more from heat than they do from cold.

Last year mine went out at 5.5 weeks when daytime temps struggled to reach 40 and nighttime temps were in the 20s. I put a heat lamp out there - at first. But every time I checked on them, they weren't anywhere near it. It was in there for the 1st and 2nd day, and the morning of the third day I decided that if they weren't going to use it then the fire danger wasn't worth it. The day I took the heat lamp out, it snowed, and we got our last snowfall on June 6th. They did just fine.

Right now I am brooding this years batch of chicks outside in the run from the get-go. Actually one group went out a week old, because my husband was hospitalized and we didn't get the outside pen finished before the chicks got here. But the new chicks went outside at one day old. They are now three and two weeks, respectively. I am not using a heat lamp out there for them, either. They are under a heating pad and they are positively thriving.

So relax. Chickens are a lot tougher than most folks give them credit for, and they know what they need to do to survive - better than we do, in fact. Too often we project our human needs on them. I stressed out over my first batch that I couldn't even enjoy them. After having them thrive though their first cold temps as babies to doing great this winter, I'm very pleased with their ability to do well despite having no heat or insulation. And with this newest group of chicks, I am totally enjoying watching them grow and develop instead of looking for problems where there really weren't any.

well said Blooie.. we have our first batch of ladies,, Wyandottes, Speckles Sussex, Buff Brahama's, and one Plymouth Rock..........they are between 1-2 weeks old.. I put (1) heat lamp in tub, then 2,, ive read 95 degrees first week, back it off 5 degrees per week,,, 1 lamp inside my kitchen has em at bout 80 they are happy campers...two lamps they sleep more..... they will acclimate as long as they are not subject to extremes. looking forward to watching them grow up

I'm so happy to hear this! They are almost completely feathered at this point. Some are completely and one is almost there (she's much smaller than the others so not sure if she is sickly or not. Acting fine.). We are getting the fence up in the next week so I'll breathe easier knowing I do t need to wait for consistently warm temps. I really appreciate the advice!! You guys are right when you say you worry over your first flock. It's funny. I never thought I'd like them as much as I do!!

We have them in a room that was an addition and has its own hvac system so I have the room at 74 right now. Should I lower the temp now to get them ready?

My husband is going to be so happy to hear this
263a.png
!!

Back
Top Bottom