Heating Coups????????

Summer Rose

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
I'm a greenhorn with blue eyes:>) I don't have hens I plan to Show but I do love my girls. This will be my first Winter having them. I have a 9 X 13' coup and I
have deep straw on the floor. It is a solid building but old so has some drafts. I did post pictures of it. I live in NC and am wondering if I will need to provide
heat in the hen house? All of my hens are Pullets, no babies. Please share with me so that I care for them the best that I can. Thanks (that was the wrong pic, geez)

In North Carolina you needn't worry about heat. Here in Norther New York we get winter temps of -20 F. I don't have heated coops & the birds do fine. Remember, they're wearing down coats.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, it was a little cold here this morning 47 degrees. LOL probably a Summer day for you up there.

As long as you don't have tiny bantams like Seramas which I hear need some heat now and again, you should be fine.

Keep the coop dry, is the thing to do!

Now if you are in the NC mountains you might need to watch that your water doesn't freeze. Chickens need liquid water at all times when awake. If you are extremely worried about them getting too cold you can do like I do when it gets super cold and put a 100 watt bulb in the coop to take the chill off. Make sure it is fire-safe.

They don't like that light on all night long, though, as it affects their sleep and they peck each other more. So I don't run it unless I am very concerned about them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom