Heating pads instead of heat lamps?

I think I'll have to check into that! That seems like a really good idea! Besides, I almost caught my brooder on fire last year with the heat lamp! I had it too close, smelled burning wood.....

That's really neat!
lol.png
(the toy, not the burning wood!)

Last edited:
I have raised a hurt chick I found abandoned running in circles in the middle of a road (one eye damaged). Inside my house he had a room-without regular electricity-because I lived off the gird. I had feather dusters that i put in the cardboard box I had him in. Every evening I would put him inside the biggest one and he would snuggle down in it. Then i would drape sheets of toilet paper and paper napkins around the feather duster - leaving the top of the pyramid of feathers uncovered to facilitate fresh air seeping to him - instant teepee. The multiple layering keep his body heat in- I did check many times and he was nice and warm when I stuck my hand inside. And on colder nights I wrapped a thick towel over the box and sides. As he grew older and got too big for one average size feather duster-I put more feather dusters and slanted them against the wall of the box - making a slanted pup tent - he loved snuggling inside. Even though I lived on the Big Island- up volcano it gets chilly enough at night for us to see white puffs of air breathing out - while outside evening and early morning - I have seen 58 degrees there. He lived to be over 18 years old. I got the idea from a true life story of a quail raised by humans- which is out of print- where they had a feather duster in a ring shape and the bird would hop into the middle that and disappear and be all snuggled down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom