Hedemora Thread

Pics

stoneunhenged

Songster
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
USA
Hedemora, a native Swedish breed, may be the most cold hardy chickens in the world. They routinely lay eggs down to 5°F and free range at -5°F for hours at a time. They have a unique layer of down under their feathers and some birds of this breed have fur-like feathers that cover their bodies. There is quite a bit of variability in this landrace that over a period of centuries adapted to a climate in Sweden that is nearly on the same northern latitude as Anchorage, Alaska. Hedemora come in various colors. Their outer feathers may be hard or fluffy, and their legs may be clean or feathered. There are probably between a thousand and two thousand of these birds remaining in the world. Here's a hedemora pullet:

DSC_0105.jpg

And here's a hedemora cockerel:

DSC_0151.jpg

I love my little colourful landrace flock
big_smile.png

Atm I only have one pure bred Hedemora hen in "yellow" and yellow/blue tail feathers in my flock.
Haha, sorry for the crude colour name, but I have no idea what that colour would be called in English.
42342_bibbi0mon.jpg

42342_bibbi1mon.jpg

42342_bibbi3mon.jpg

42342_bibbi5mon.jpg

42342_bibi6mon.jpg

The last pic shows her when she just started laying (at almost 7 months) last autumn.
Small saw-tooth comb and the fluffy bloomers are typical for this breed.
The wattles are actually on the "big" side for a Hedemora.
tongue.png
Everything is relative I guess.
She's one of the feather legged variety and lays off white eggs with brown speckles.

Hi,
I was hoping for some help sexing these babies....they are almost 8 weeks
they didn't like being separated from their siblings so they kept running back to the pen
tongue.png

I hope I have them right, nothing to really gauge it off of since I can't find any pics of them anywhere.

#1 pullet?
11313_054.jpg

#2 pullet? wow, sun must have been reflecting just right. there is nothing wrong with the eye..
11313_056.jpg

#3 pullet?
11313_057.jpg

#4 pullet?
11313_062.jpg

#5 cockeral
11313_063.jpg

probably wishful thinking on gender but I also have one that is a week younger and has a huge red comb too even though he is much smaller than these chicks
I also think it is cool that the leg feathering end at or near ankle and doesnt extend to the toes...

Last edited:
I wanted to add a pic of my youngest hedemora, a smooth feathered cockeral
This pic doesn't show his color well but he wouldn't hang out in the sun long enough
11313_imag0490.jpg

This is him in the sun, but not a great pic
11313_imag0484.jpg

Eta- the pic does not do him justice, he looks metallic in person...

Last edited:
Long time since i've been here! I got my first eggs from my Hedemora's this week!
celebrate.gif

It seems they needed some REAL winter to start laying eggs, the temperature dropped to below -20C and i don't have any extra heat in the hen house. Well, my little flock sure lived up to their reputation as a hardy breed; they didn't seem to mind the cold at all and all i had to do was give them fresh water a couple of times a day - even though they don't mind eating snow they need to be able to drink properly in order to eat enough to stay warm. Now when it's just around -7 the temperature in the hen house seems to stay above zero though.

I'll make sure to take some new pics!

Back
Top Bottom