Hedylamore, new to this site

hedylaymore

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 30, 2014
Hi. I am a new chicken owner, with a new coop in the backyard, a fenced run, and six pullets: three Rhode Island Reds and three Barred Plymouth Rocks. During the past week we have shored up our existing fence, built a second fenced run for the hens, and double-fenced our dog so she can't get to them. She is our main concern, as she is dying to get to those hens. She is an Eskimo spitz mix and I don't think we'll ever be able to trust her around the flock. We used to have a Great Pyrenees and are thinking of getting another one. We live in South Carolina. Anybody in our area with a Pyr puppy for sale?

Happy to have located this BYC site!

Hedylamore (Anybody old enough to remember Hedy Lamarr?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community!

Yes, most dogs cannot be trusted around chickens. Even my little Maltese thinks he can eat my chickens. LOL And as tiny as he is, he could still hurt them!

Stop by your state thread to chat with your chicken neighbors to see if anyone has any puppies you might be interested in...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/127943/south-carolina

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm old enough to remember Hedy Lamar (Samson and Delilah, Comrade X, Come Live With Me, My Favorite Spy, etc.). :eek:) Are any of your Rhode Island Reds roosters? If so, you could breed him with your Barred Rock hens and produce Black Sex Links, which can be sexed by color at hatching, and which are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Do be very careful about your dog. As many BYC members can attest (some to their sorrow), dogs and chickens do not usually mix well. We frequently get sob stories from new members who were shocked when their dog (sometimes even small ones like Chihuahuas) suddenly and unexectedly decided to chase and kill some of their chickens. And once a dog begins chasing and killing chickens, it is next to impossible to break him of it. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thank you!! All of my chickens are hens. I didn't know that breeding a barred rock with a RI red would produce a sex link chicken. Thanks for the info. We got these six birds as pullets; they came with the coop. One of these days I'll order biddies which might include a rooster or two. I would like to put roosters in the freezer for meat but don't know if I can kill and butcher a chicken. My husband said nobody would remember Hedy Lamarr. Ha. I'll keep my dog away from the chickens. I think (hope) they're inside a fortress, with buried wire around the perimeter and over the top of the run.

One video I watched years ago is titled "The Natural History of the Chicken." If there is anybody out there who isn't familiar with it, it's a hoot and well worth watching. The DVD is still available through Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom