Hello — complete novice with lots of research and zero experience! :D

ShortHenTallPen

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the BYC for a couple of years. Looking stuff up and coveting different chickens! I love the site and have found so much information here!

I'm finally joining since my family will be getting our first chickens this year! It's the dream of a lifetime for my husband and I - chickens were actually the topic of discussion when we started dating and fell in love :D Ten years, one transatlantic move, two little girls later, and one country-dream-house later, we're finally able to realize one of our most cherished dreams this year.... now we just have to build the coop without wrecking our marriage :D

We're up Ontario, Canada, so I've been researching hardy birds, and I've got my heart set on heritage breeds — we'll be getting a small flock of layers this year - 5 or 6 hens, and a couple of ducks. We'd like to raise birds for meat too, probably hybrids, perhaps starting next year, but we're starting small!

Our experience in looking after things is limited to hamsters, mice, rats, cats, injured wild animals, and children... Despite extensive reading and scouring the internet for a few years, I'm expecting the practical realities to be a steep learning curve, but we can't wait!

Pleased to be here! :)

Rach.

welcome-byc.gif
We're glad you joined us!

What breeds of chickens are you planning on getting?

I would be sure to check out the informative Learning Center: Learning Center Articles Also, feel free to ask any questions that you have! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with all your poultry adventures! Definitely stop by our learning center too. Lots of great articles on raising chickens.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. With regard to hardy heritage breeds, do you have a breed preference?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

We'll be glad to answer any questions you may have. If you haven't picked a breed out already, three hardy heritage breeds that I know of are Buckeyes, Chanteclers, and Dominiques. These three breeds are considered to be hardy and reasonably good layers.

Welcome! I can tell you this board is awesome for anytime you have questions or emergencies. I just wanted to say Hi! I live just outside of Watertown NY...just a few hours from you!
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for all the replies - good to be welcomed so heartily :)

We're considering he following breeds - not sure whether we'll have a mixed flock or one breed yet - it might depend on what's available to us, as I'm not exactly sure where we'll be getting the birds yet...

Chickens:
Brahma
Orpingtons
Wyandotte
Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas if we can get pures
Partridge Chantecler

We were lucky enough to get a peek at some Partridge Chanteclers this weekend, when we bought a half lamb at a local farm and they surprised us by offering a peek at their birds - Silver a Dorking and Partridge Chanteclers. The Chanties are beautiful, but pretty shy... I think the bigger, friendlier breeds would be better for our family - we have a 6- and a 3-year-old! I'm open to ideas though - the Buckeyes look good too.

For ducks:
Indian Runners (I know they're shy, but I've wanted them since I was a kid, so the kids will have to just look!
Aylesbury or Silver Appleyard maybe

It all depends on how big I can get my husband to build the coop :D he also mentioned,looking over my shoulder, that the "we" considering he breeds could be just me... hee-hee!

Anyway - I have some questions about breeds that I'll post in a relevant board/thread!

Thanks again all :)

Rach.

Thanks for all the replies - good to be welcomed so heartily
smile.png

We're considering he following breeds - not sure whether we'll have a mixed flock or one breed yet - it might depend on what's available to us, as I'm not exactly sure where we'll be getting the birds yet...

Chickens:
Brahma
Orpingtons
Wyandotte
Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas if we can get pures
Partridge Chantecler
You're welcome. The first breed I ever had were Brahmas (about 50 years ago), and they were gentle giants. I love Orpingtons. I've had them for years, and they are very cold hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Whatever breeds you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom