Hello all! New to the chicken community

Aug 11, 2020
Greetings, I joined this site to learn from those who do the work of caring for chickens day in and day out, through shared knowledge and experience. My partner and I recently bought four chickens (porcelain leghorns and Crevecoeur, two of each) and are seeking to keep them for fun and eggs in our small farm friendly urban environment in the greater Denver area.
Working in the greenhouse/nursery industry, the goal next spring is to set up our chicken run with helpful and edible plants that will line the edges, supplementing the chickens' diet. Hoping to find some threads on BYC about this topic.
Balancing dogs and chickens is our biggest question: how do y'all do it?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome to BYC! I have 2 huskies and only had chickens for 2 months and they're completely separated by a gate. We have been working on their fixation with commands like "out" or "leave it" for a month, since the flock has been roaming outside during the day. It's getting easier but definitely not full-proof.
But if I find a way, I will let you know! lol

Hi! I'm new here too! I'm down in Grand Junction! Nice to welcome a fellow Coloradan the same day I've joined! Maybe we can connect about things like how weather conditions are affecting our birds and such. Also, my dogs have been licking their chops so I'm concerned about that as well.
No doubt its just in their genes, but it certainly can make for some nervousness! Do your chickens have issues laying because of stress over the dogs at all?
Sure! I don't know much about chickens in Colorado weather, I grew up in Alaska and knew about my aunt's experience with chickens up there.

Hi! Welcome to BYC! I have 2 huskies and only had chickens for 2 months and they're completely separated by a gate. We have been working on their fixation with commands like "out" or "leave it" for a month, since the flock has been roaming outside during the day. It's getting easier but definitely not full-proof.
But if I find a way, I will let you know! lol
The fence is definitely important, it seems! And huskies are very intelligent, no doubt they'll continue to listen more about the commands. Do your chickens get stressed out about the dogs at all?

Back
Top Bottom