Hello all

shwaaskii

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2015
Washington twp Mi
Hey I'm new to the backyard chicken family we just received a rooster and hen this morning, I believe they are the longhorn breed. I'm just looking for sometips on what to do what not to do. We have a temporary coup made from our old dog house and chicken wire to enclose them in. I believe they are 3 months old. When do they start producing eggs and how do I know if they are fertilized? I'm not sure if they are brother and sister does that matter like it does with people and dogs lol

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have White Leghorns. Being a brother and sister won't cause a problem, but I would definitely get some more pullets to go with that cockerel. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and the hormones kick in too many roosters (or too few hens in your case) will become very hard physically on the hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. If you can't handle that many hens, I would recommend re-homing the rooster and getting another hen in its place. Most hens begin laying from 20-25 weeks; sometimes a little earlier, and on occasion a little later. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Last edited:
How do they survive in the winter we live in Michigan lol

With Leghorns it's a bit of a challenge since they are Mediterranean breeds with very large combs and wattles that are subject to severe frostbite. Some owners have had some success by putting Vaseline on the combs and wattles to protect them during freezing weather, but I personally only experienced mixed success with the Vaseline when I had Leghorns. It's very important that their coop be draft free, dry, and well ventilated to prevent moisture from building up in it. Feathers are wonderful insulators and moisture is a much greater danger than cold. I don't normally recommend having any kind of supplemental heating in the coop due to the risk of fires, but with Leghorns in a winter climate like Minnesota, I would make an exception.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I recommend you post on the Michigan thread, so you can ask others how they get their flocks through winter. A Canadian friend has told me Chanticleers were bred to take severe winter weather. They have very small combs laying close to the skull, so no frostbite.

Hello and welcome! Please look into welded wire fence or hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. The chicken wire is not very sturdy or long lasting. Raccoons can go through it if large enough not to mention dogs. And yes you need more females to keep your current two happy.

Hello and welcome! Please look into welded wire fence or hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. The chicken wire is not very sturdy or long lasting. Raccoons can go through it if large enough not to mention dogs.
X2 on the above advice. Hardware cloth would be the best to use as some predators such as snakes, rats, weasels, etc. can squeeze through the openings in either the welded wire or the chicken wire. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on predator proofing your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom