Hello All

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I wish I knew what to tell you. Would it be possible to call a pest exterminator service? Maybe they could treat the outdoor underground nests, and that would eliminate ants attacking your chickens and coming inside home. If they could ID what type of ants they are - you could find out what to do about them.

I would have to check on that we live in the country so most pest control either charge way to much or wont come out this far sadly. Its the area we live in. And thank you. I gave in and sprayed her bunk bed just the wooden part and she sleeping with us tonight to make sure that it dries enough and i talk to her ped to make sure its okay before i put her in her own bed again. They just in her room not anywere else in he house not even in the kitchen and there nothing in her room to feed off of beside the water in her fish tank so i havent a clue as to why they are only in there.

Any chance they could be carpenter ants or termites? If you are having a drought period sometimes ants come in looking for water - maybe the fish bowl??? Guinea fowl may be better at eating bugs than the chickens.

I don't think the carpenter ants, these things are big for ants but not as big as most capenter ants i have seen in texas. They have red heads and black butts and the are very aggressive. The bites burn for atleast ten to twenty minutes. However there home is more like that of a leaf cutter ant they have a four to five foot circle around the entrance that clean. And diffently not temermite i have those in my garden and they dont hit plus the chickens eat those as do the lizzards,small snakes and frogs that have survived the chickens. I know ehat poison works for them before we had chickens and when i could keep the two year old out of that side of the yard now with the birds and her i havent a clue as to what is safe. We have dogs so the chickens cant go to another part of the yard since we having problems with the dogs in killing them. So it has to be something safe for the chickens and the toddler because she is head over heels for her chickens since they started laying eggs she is a chick freak already and her and the rooster are best friends he tries to play in the sprinkler with her same eith the kiddy pool if its not full i keep it full so he doesnt.

Hi Rebecca,
welcome-byc.gif

It's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom