Hello all

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The bird in your top photo is a mixed breed cockerel. Your Rhodebar is a cockerel as well. Hens definitely lay better when not stressed out by roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

How do I post in a thread that isn't introductions and more appropriate for the subject?

Go to the top of the page with your curser and put it on Forum. It will bring up a list of categories under which you can start or post on various threads. Click on the appropriate one. From there you can click on the thread you want to post on, or if you want to start a new thread under that category, you can click on the blue Start a New Thread box in the upper left hand corner.

Thanx so much. I knew they weren't hens, but I had to check. Hopefully I can find someone to trade me for a couple hens. I would like to see how they mature tho. Might keep em till spring to see what they will look like.

They don't. There are 4 other cocks in a two mile radius. I know all the different crows, but never even heard em try. There lies my quandey about sex. They look male but act female. It's odd.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom