Hello, all

StarlynMarie

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2015
Antioch, CA
Hi there. My name is Star and I currently own four chicks (and two ducks - Cas and Misha). There are two Rhode Island Reds [Mabel &Charlotte] and two Black Australorps [Gertrude & Petunia] in our little flock. We'll have had them two weeks tomorrow (6-19-15), the ducks only a week yesterday. So far the chicks are great; a little loud at times, but they're just babies. They all seem to be getting along really well except for when Mabel decides to assert her dominance among the girls (at least we're still hoping they're all girls. 95% chance they are, but still 5% that they aren't). They're about three weeks old, give or take; three of them are already starting to get their tail feathers in. Save for the messes they are constantly making in their box, we love having them and can't wait to put them in their coop.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your chicks and ducklings :celebrate Yes they can get quite messy and certainly like to scratch about everywhere. Giving them as much room as you possibly can really helps and something for them to stand on also helps keep them occupied. A small branch to roost on helps. At three weeks they will have sorted a pecking order out and seems that Mabel maybe in charge.

Wishing you the very best of luck. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited:
I never thought of adding something for them to roost on. But I will definitely pick a branch out from the backyard and see how they like it. Thank you!!!
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC, Star. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a nice mixed flock. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom