Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

im stumped, I cant think of any breeds off the top of my head that have a black face (in oe). are you referring to wattles comb and such, or just the beak?

Last edited:
It's not uncommon in chooks with silkie blood in them. :/ But there's not a variety of oe (that I know of, anyway) that's supposed to have it.
same here, but im not an expert in OE, my breeders have all red faces and combs. some of the chicks are showing some darkness though... i'll probably sell them as pet quality, since there isn't a lot of meat there to eat.

blacks are supposed to have dark faces? mine are as red as they can be. I just reread that, silver blacks have dark faces.... got it.

sumi told me earlier that you are pretty good with genetics. I know this is the wrong thread to ask but you are here. I have lemon cuckoo cochins, is it possible to cross them with blue and make blue cuckoo, or will I be wasting my time?

Last edited:
So, thanks for the pic of the black oegb. If I wanted to replicate my rooster, but with "better type" (define, for me, the clueless) I would need to breed my rooster to a black hen, then one of those male offspring back onto one of my hens AND to be safe, breed a black rooster to one of my hens, then one of those female offspring back to my rooster? Did I get that remotely right?
OR, ask someone to voluntarily feed one of their self blues LOTS of corn, just for fun :) Wonder how long that would take to show?
OR, I can guess that maybe they are already a cross, so either start fresh with:
Self blue with "lemon blue or porcelain or even possibly a brassy back" or "lavender/self blue"(via Loveourbirds)

ACK! I think I will just see who hatches. If they breed true, I shall be happy beyond words and send everyone sample eggs to hatch for fun, pets and or curiousity. Okay, might have to limit that to current thread participants. This IS a chicken thread after all, and NO ONE turns down a cute chicken, amiright?

If they don't, I'll hunt down the closest thing, or rarest thing, or cutest thing closest or whatever... and breed them. Or, I will commit myself to chicken recovery RIGHT NOW! And I just got started...
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom