Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
Here are the problems I see with breed outcrosses you will fight type for many generations, The birds you posted are not bad in color just lacking good OE type.
If you outcross to wheaton staying within the breed the first result would be 100% cockrell culls, and pullets demonstrating plack tailed buff characteristics and you will need to breed the black back out of the primary feathers of both wing and tail. The Dominant white in teh Red pyle will dominate the buff body and increase the dark coloration of hackle, saddle, wing bow, wing bay, of male (A highly undesired trait) teh Females will be darker in hackle and breast once again an undesired trait.
Seramas are like a box a of choccolates there is no genetic base to determine what you have as they all mixed up and an absolute color mess and will also create a type nightmare for you.
I have several recessive silver whites that I plan on selling soon. you can make the initial cross Buff x White=F1, set two pens from there pen 1 Buff x F1=BC1 and F1xF1=F2. Select from your F2 birds for type and some color. Select from your BC1 for color and some type, set a BC1 cockrell over F2 pullets, this will give you more color and improved type. You may also want to set a F2xF2=F3 and select for a greater appearance of color and type select from the two matings of BC1xF2 and F2xF2 for type and color and begin to bring it all together. Any type improvement project even when not leaving the variety will require 3 generations to see results, and color 3-5 generations for results, what you have is a decent start on buff color that needs some work but type is where your biggest problems are. Remember that with color they are Buff and without OE type they are just buff bantams but with OE type they are Buff OE. The Buff color is one of the toughest to get correct and will always have some color culls. If you would be interested in some whites let me know I will make you a good deal and provide you some very nice typed breeder birds to work from. That would allow you start your project this fall and have the second generation to work with come spring.

Quote:
I have found that taking to the shows that offer Jr. Plagues and awards and recogonition in an award ceremony makes a world of difference.
Many of the shows and leadership of the breed clubs are more interested in thier own points, and will not even talk to the youth about something the kids are interested in. I have had first hand experience with good showmen taking an interest in teh youth and talking giving them birds and coaching them through showing works and teh kid will stick with that breed and often the variety. When the kids are pushed to the side, and merely tolerated with no support they quickly move on and away. I will only give birds to the kids who show a genuine interest in the hobby, and the variety if the parent is constantly poking and asing the questions the birds may not even be for sale but for the kids who are actually interested they are often free so long as they will agree to show them.

It feels like anymore the youth are being pushed out, years ago many very good top breeders would pull thier best birds right of show coops after the show and give them to the kids who had stopped and talked and asked about them this is where many good showmen got thier start. It seems more and more this practice has been thrown out and the idea that the kids are there so they can buy a decent cull bird is the goal for some of teh top showmen. I really disagree with that practice as it teaches the wrong lesson to the youth, who could someday be the future of the hobby.
By pulling that awsome little specimen out and giving it to the kid and offering a phone number and ongoing support you will build the hobby through the youth and future generations. The kids know there is value to the bird(s) and greatly appreciate and remember this for a lifetime, and will continue that practice when they reach adulthood. one small gift to the right kid makes all the difference in teh world.

That is one thing I always make sure of before giving birds away.I have to know that the kid wants to learn.I have show coops set up here and when they come by I help them figure out how the whole thing works.I didnt have anyone around interested in poultry when I was young.I was lucky enough to meet a guy that had shown for years and he really helped get me started.I do think more shows need to give more attention to the youth.

Quote:
I have found that taking to the shows that offer Jr. Plagues and awards and recogonition in an award ceremony makes a world of difference.
Many of the shows and leadership of the breed clubs are more interested in thier own points, and will not even talk to the youth about something the kids are interested in. I have had first hand experience with good showmen taking an interest in teh youth and talking giving them birds and coaching them through showing works and teh kid will stick with that breed and often the variety. When the kids are pushed to the side, and merely tolerated with no support they quickly move on and away. I will only give birds to the kids who show a genuine interest in the hobby, and the variety if the parent is constantly poking and asing the questions the birds may not even be for sale but for the kids who are actually interested they are often free so long as they will agree to show them.

Thank you! It was just a thought I had, being inexperienced I wanted to see what some of you breeders thought.

Different subject, since I'm new to OEGB's ( we have American Games) & now have ended up with 2 little 3 month old roos will they continue to "get along" in the same pen or am I going to have to separate them soon? They are in with a 3 month old Japanese pullet & seem to get along but I saw them lock beaks yesterday for a second. One of them has been trying to fight between the wire with a 4 1/2 month old AG stag ( I had to fix a barrier between the chicken wire & the outside world). Any input would be appreciated.......
sad.png

Owner of 3 Bantams, 30 American Games, several cats, 5 racehorses, 1 Longhorn cross heifer, 15 Painted Desert sheep, 4 goats and 1 housedog....

Quote:
Owner of 3 Bantams, 30 American Games, several cats, 5 racehorses, 1 Longhorn cross heifer, 15 Painted Desert sheep, 4 goats and 1 housedog....

So long as they are given adequate space they will be fine with each other. Space and feed is key

Finally found the county fair in my area. I knew we had one, but its still hard to find the info. My boy is excited about going. The bad part is, its about 4 weeks away.
sad.png
And its sooo hot.

Back
Top Bottom