Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I holler at him, grab him & hold him while petting him. What else should I do?
hmm.png

Quote:
Place him in a small cage, with water and limited feed. use soft fruit as a treat he will learn to associate you with the treat and will not be as agressive. However you can have a very calm easy going OE cockrell / rooster that is still protective of the hens / pullets so alone he may be easy to handle and around a female will run you out of the yard. Work with him for a week and you will see a change.

He's in a pen with his "brother" & a pullet the same age. He's gentle as can be, I've petted & picked him up since he was 2-4 weeks old but he's into this "mean" thing now towards me.
sad.png

Quote:
That´s you problem... now that his hormones are into over drive he thinks you are his Mother and wants to mate with you or show you who is boss.. the worst case I had was one I hand raised day old chick from hatch till he was 5 months old, the it went uggly quick.. the best thing you can do to roos is let them be birds and think of you as their care taker but not part of the flock.... I had to kick the snot out of a cockerel that way...at the end he feared me and stayed away from humans but at least he kept his life.....unlike that one that attacked that boy....
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
We are getting a nice break this morning at least although it will heat back up this afternoon. Nice slow showers and cloud cover is keeping the temps down for now.

I am glad to hear you guys are getting a break.It has been cloudy all day here also.I am going to try and get out and take a few pictures of some of these young BB Reds to email to Wayne while it's cooler.

Quote:
I have two twins (not really,because one is poorly colored Golden DW and the other is Silver DW) ,but they are typical 'boys' who will scuffle with each other when "mom" is around,and occasionally likes to do their wing dance..They decided to do it one time and lightly shuffled my foot,I picked them up and popped them with two fingers right on top of their dubbed combs saying 'NO!' then dropped them down and popped agian.After a couple times,they no longer do it.

Does anyone have or raise mille fleur GB's. I would likr to see a pic of some. I just got 6, and want to make sure they are decent. Thanks

Quote:
My OEGB is my favorite but she can get grumpy when she does (or any other chicken) I pick them up and hold them securely and go about my business in the yard as much as I can while holding them. Or just sit down and take a break while holding them for at least 10 min. I think of it as time out/ I'm the boss not you. It seems to work for me.
76257_dscn2104-2.jpg

Quote:
They usually grow out of it but if you want to nip it in the bud you need to pick him up when he does that and either hold him upside down for a while or pinch his comb and wattles between your thumb and index fingers. When a more dominant rooster is putting a young punk in his place, the dominant roo always goes for the comb.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom