Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quick question for you all: what color would you call this? I know that his quality isn't great, but he was traded to me as a BB Red, which I know he isn't. I've been calling him a Black Tailed Red, but I'm not positive that's what he is, just the closest that I could find color-wise according to pictures. Does he look more like a mix of colors?

53351_casanova.jpg

Quote:
That's interesting. I did notice that the red on him is very dark, but I hadn't even thought of mahogany. What would come from breeding him to a spangled hen? Would it produce anything besides just random mixed colors? I do really like his color.

Quote:
He is a Black Tailed Red at least on Phenotype(Looks) he seems to carry Db as columbian restrictor and Mahogany as Pheomelanin(re pigment) enhancer...

Quote:
I think you have things mixed up here buddy..
tongue.png
Spangled OEGB have Mahogany in them, Mahogany is a Red pigment enhancer

Quote:
He is a Black Tailed Red at least on Phenotype(Looks) he seems to carry Db as columbian restrictor and Mahogany as Pheomelanin(re pigment) enhancer...

Quote:
tongue.png

No, there is a color of oegb that is not recognized but some have them, it is called mahogany, that is just spangled without the spangling.

Quote:

Quote:
tongue.png

No, there is a color of oegb that is not recognized but some have them, it is called mahogany, that is just spangled without the spangling.

So is he a mahogany (the color) or is he a non-spangled...spangled? Would it just be a gamble as to what I'd get from breeding him to a spangled hen? I hatched out a couple of his chicks early in the spring but none from my spangled hen. Got one black pullet from a black bantam hen of unknown breed and got a black cockerel with gold leakage (got a bit of a colombian pattern but with some gold on his shoulder blades) from a lavender bantam cochin hen.

Quote:
Spangled OEG are Black Breasted Red duckwing(e+) and recessive mottling so unless he carries one copy of mo(mottling) they will not be "Spangled" and since Db(DarkBrown) is also a dominant gene and the "SPangled" OEG hen does not carry it, the chicks will look just like dad..

Quote:
I just checked the link

here is the Quote
"Mahogany Old English Bantams have not been admitted to either Standard as of January 2007. They are extremely rare and Ideal Poultry is one of only a few breeders who have them available. The plumage pattern is known as Dark Brown and Dark Brown Leghorns have the same pattern"

they look just like BBR with Mahogany in them...so the name is correct...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom