Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
Most likely will look like a BB red when mature however may not breed properly when grown. Any eggs gathered for a eriod of 14 days could still be from the previous rooster. So your next hatch may be affected as well.

This morning the wing feathers are developing a little more and they look blue--would that be an indication of a blue wheaten?
rant.gif

They could be virually anything but wheaton x BB red will result in males that are very hard to to tell apart from either parent variety, the Females will look BB for the most part but weak in pattern. When a chick comes out with the wrong down color and the parents are unknown it is just a guessing game. When we aquire new birds I do not even collect eggs from them for 3 weeks so that I know what was mated to them.

Quote:
This morning the wing feathers are developing a little more and they look blue--would that be an indication of a blue wheaten?
rant.gif

They could be virually anything but wheaton x BB red will result in males that are very hard to to tell apart from either parent variety, the Females will look BB for the most part but weak in pattern. When a chick comes out with the wrong down color and the parents are unknown it is just a guessing game. When we aquire new birds I do not even collect eggs from them for 3 weeks so that I know what was mated to them.

The next 2 eggs should tell me something as I have had them together longer than 3 weeks now. I will let you know what happens and thank you all for your time on this. Should be interesting to see!

Quote:
Is this a rooster from such a cross?

No.. that's a pullet

Ok, sorry about that but the feathers around the tail looked different, plus the neck feathers looked different--which is what I guess you were talking about. My chick seems to be developing the wheaton feathers with a blue tint but I guess I have to wait and see with time how it turns out.

Quote:
No.. that's a pullet

Ok, sorry about that but the feathers around the tail looked different, plus the neck feathers looked different--which is what I guess you were talking about. My chick seems to be developing the wheaton feathers with a blue tint but I guess I have to wait and see with time how it turns out.

Yeah, it will take a considerable amount of time to know how it will finish. Wheaton varieties color in slower than duckwing varieties. You will know within 4-5 weeks if it is a cockrell or pullet, and a good quess on color around 10-12 weeks, final color around 20-22 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom