Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Updated chick pic. Female?

Look at that little tail <3 Sorry the pic is small, it wanted to snuggle with me and whenever i'd call it it would come running… before my pic could be taken it was already on my lap/shoulder … lol

Last edited:
ep.gif
What in the world do you do with all them???? How do you decide who to keep?
I usually hatch a couple dozen and have trouble picking out which ones I want to keep. Of course, I don't show and mine are just pets so I pick my favorites by attitude more than type. I do try to pick the better looking ones as my favorites.
big_smile.png
(Doesn't always work that way.)

I start culling early, I have 7 brooders by the time they get 7 weeks I have fewer than I started with, after that they go through 7 cages, thne whats left go outside. what makes it to 16 weeks + are evaluated on final plumage. a good number of folks around here know what I have and know that will let the undesired birds with traits I don't like go as early as possible for yard birds and trap bait. Extra cockrells can run teh yard and keep varmits out of my better birds that I want to keep.
We often sell to folks that come by and allo wthem to pick through certian varieties, some varieties just are not for sale as I need to retain everything I can to make headway and what doesn't make the cut are either given away or go the freezer. I don't like the odea of developmental birds and cross breeds going out unless the individual has no intentions of breeding them.

[COLOR=FF0000]Don't know what colors you start with on Self Blues.... but I started out with... self blues! LOL I have 3 hens and a roos and just hatched out my first 2 babies from them![/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]April[/COLOR]

Congrats on the new chicks, I haven't found very many oegb's around here, just the guy I got my splash from and he didn't have any self blues, but he does have some nice looking blues I am thinking about if I only had somewhere to put them.

Back
Top Bottom