Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

What do you have to breed to get self blue, I've seen these and think they are very nice looking bird but have no idea what colors could have been used to get them.

Self blue is simply put self Blue, it is a recessive gene called lavendar that must be present in two coppies for teh bird to be Self Blue, when breeding Self Blue they will only produce Self Blue however when crossed with almost anything else often produce a black bird.

I've never hatched blacks before. I have chicks that are black with yellow points and some that are black with muddy points. Does anyone know if this is normal? Thanks.

I've never hatched blacks before. I have chicks that are black with yellow points and some that are black with muddy points. Does anyone know if this is normal? Thanks.

hatched from what? blacks?
Each well established line of blacks varies a bit based on the selection practices behind thier breeding. I culled everything that did not hatch black in whole, breast, feet, toes, legs etc. Others are extended black which will have a white or yellowish color to the breast, then you can also have wild type black which will often have a lighter breast and belly and faint eye stripe, these can be a brownish color at ties too. there are simply too many genetic variables when it comes to black bird and may even be mixed of the three above or none of the above.
I would contact the breeder you aquired them from and talk to them. Wish I could be of more help but that is likely your best source for an answer related to your birds.

Not tryin to improve the Self Blue just wasnt sure if anyone had any pics of self blues or knowledge of crossing them with other OEGBs. Didnt know if they throw any cool colors when crossed. Ive crossed Blue Quail over Ginger Red hen and they turned out to be surprisingly very game at around 1 month. Also they have turned out to be very nice looking birds.

My Crele OEGB brood cock.

39717_crelecock.jpg

This is my Golden Duckwing American Game Bantam brood trio. The cock weighs a little less than 3 pounds.

39717_tagbantamgdwtrio.jpg

Back
Top Bottom