Hello chicken keepers, I saw the sticky

What are the best dual purpose chickens?

• Australorp

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • New Hampshire Red

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buff Orpington

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Plymouth/Barred Rock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Rhode Island Red

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Wyandotte

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Delaware

• Jersey Giant

• Sussex

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Chrysostomist

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2017
Oklahoma
Hello all from Oklahoma, just three years ago a place I did not expect to ever end up in. I just joined the forum and I do not have chickens yet. My joining is prompted by a question about a beaver, which you will soon see in the predators and pests forum instead of here!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to chickens and I plan to first get chickens within a month.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None. I will probably start with 5-8 primarily for eggs for my family.

(3) What breeds do you have?
None. I think the best chickens for me will be dual purpose. I would like many eggs, big eggs, and chickens big enough to eat. They will have a lot of space for free-ranging and young kids may interact with them, so do I have to avoid more aggressive breeds?

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
One of your articles was a result when I searched for best chicken breeds for eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Reading, fishing, hunting, (Settlers of) Catan, card games.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I married a good beautiful woman and we are happily accepting all the children God gives us. Our dog is a boxer. He's dumb, but at the same time, smart, and a good listener. I don't have any expectation he will be useful for protecting the chickens. After we get chickens, we will get cats to catch the mice and we plan to get goats, and eventually another dog.

Welcome to BYC!

It's great to have another Christian with us! You sound like you are on the way to have a nice little place for your kids to grow up in!

I look forward to seeing you around.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for an interesting introduction! I can't give a single answer to your poll because I've only raised 4 of them on your list and I liked all 4 of them. Every chicken you get will have it's own personality so keep in mind breed characteristics are just general guidelines. For example, a lot of people will say the RIR's are mean but the ones I had were sweethearts. And a lot of people will say the Australorps are mild tempered but the ones I had were so hateful to their flock mates, I had to rehome them.

I think it's fun to go with a mixed flock, especially when you're first starting out. That way you can judge for yourself how you like the different breeds.

Good luck to you with all your plans!

G’Day from down under Chrysostomist
frow.gif
Welcome!

Apologies that I have not kept any of the breeds mentioned in your poll either so can not help you out there.

I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

and some great coop ideas here if you do not already have any: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hello all from Oklahoma, just three years ago a place I did not expect to ever end up in. I just joined the forum and I do not have chickens yet. My joining is prompted by a question about a beaver, which you will soon see in the predators and pests forum instead of here!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to chickens and I plan to first get chickens within a month.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None. I will probably start with 5-8 primarily for eggs for my family.

(3) What breeds do you have?
None. I think the best chickens for me will be dual purpose. I would like many eggs, big eggs, and chickens big enough to eat. They will have a lot of space for free-ranging and young kids may interact with them, so do I have to avoid more aggressive breeds?

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
One of your articles was a result when I searched for best chicken breeds for eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Reading, fishing, hunting, (Settlers of) Catan, card games.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I married a good beautiful woman and we are happily accepting all the children God gives us. Our dog is a boxer. He's dumb, but at the same time, smart, and a good listener. I don't have any expectation he will be useful for protecting the chickens. After we get chickens, we will get cats to catch the mice and we plan to get goats, and eventually another dog.
Boxers are the best IMO.
I have 3!

My 8 girls just started laying about 3 weeks ago.
I have 2 Australorps, 2 EE, 2 Welsummers, A Gold Laced Wy, A Dominque...
My Dominque is the sweetest...right now.
I don't find any of my girls to be aggressive.
A friend of mine says the best breed he has eaten in the GLW. I can not give you an opinion about the meat, but I can say that my Australorps started laying first and do lay everyday.
My EE would be my second best egg layer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the friendly welcome. I already got help with my beaver question and look forward to drawing on your experiences in the future. I am going to go with some Rhode Island Reds to start out. Someone local has 6-9 month old hens, some starting to lay, $10 each, which looks like the best deal I've found nearby. Others ask $12 or $15 each for other breeds of unknown ages. I am not going to get chicks just because I don't want to buy additional supplies like the lamp and I don't want to have to wait all that time to get eggs. It'll warm up soon here and the ticks will come out so these ones will get to work eating them.

I just picked up a used coop last night so almost ready!

Last edited:
Thanks for the friendly welcome. I already got help with my beaver question and look forward to drawing on your experiences in the future. I am going to go with some Rhode Island Reds to start out. Someone local has 6-9 month old hens, some starting to lay, $10 each, which looks like the best deal I've found nearby. Others ask $12 or $15 each for other breeds of unknown ages. I am not going to get chicks just because I don't want to buy additional supplies like the lamp and I don't want to have to wait all that time to get eggs. It'll warm up soon here and the ticks will come out so these ones will get to work eating them.

I just picked up a used coop last night so almost ready!

Great idea to buy "ready to lay" hens, the waiting does seem to take forever! lol
I would think that they all should be laying at that age.
Be careful a lot of people with sell you anything...and have you believing it is a certain age, I am not saying that is going to happen, just be careful.
Make sure you look at the birds pretty good before you take them home.
I'm sure you would be very upset if you brought sick birds home.

Did ya know you can use a heating pad instead of a heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom