Hello Chicken Trainers!

nicole camp

Songster
6 Years
Dec 19, 2013
Hello everyone!
I just wanted to share some fun news. I recently got a baby Rhode Island Red chick and started using positive reinforcement training (Clicker Training) on him. He is officially 6 days old and is already understanding that the clicker means food. I'm using mealworms as treats which is working out fantastic! I'm going to post updates on his training every week. Anyone have any trick suggestions?
Also I'm planning on socializing him to just about everything so he is not fearful. So far so good. He loves the cats and dogs in my house. This is going to be a great experiment to see a chickens true capability. I'm also going to leash train him. Let me know if anyone is interested in seeing videos. :D

That's so cool, this is actually starting to become a more and more popular thing. There is a avian clinic in Oregon that offers this sort of training. You should train him to go over, under and through obstacles. Do you think this could work on ducklings?

It would definitely work on a duckling as well. I've never had ducks myself, but as long as you have a good treat it will work out great. I knew a friend who trained the duck to shake his tail feathers.

I'm trying to brain storm what I could make the obstacles out of. Any ideas? I would love to go to Clicker Expo with a chickens.

It would definitely work on a duckling as well. I've never had ducks myself, but as long as you have a good treat it will work out great. I knew a friend who trained the duck to shake his tail feathers.

I'm trying to brain storm what I could make the obstacles out of. Any ideas? I would love to go to Clicker Expo with a chickens.
Great! I'm not getting chicks this year but I'm getting a few runner ducklings and I'd think that'd be cool to do.

I bet you could make obstacles out of wood and plastic (well not make plastic but reuse.) I might be worried about when that chicken get's big what would you have to do to make a safe obstacle.

I'm think about doing thin PVC pipes to make poles and a wood stand to do tricks on. Anyone know how to train a chicken how to sit?

No but now I want to get a couple people to try this with me and I wonder what experiments you could try to get them to that. I think when people should try this they should record it.

I got the baby to target this morning! I placed a notebook on the group and got him to associate touching it with his feet with the sound of a click. Keep in mind he is officially seven days old! We should all post training videos of our animals. I'm very interested in your training with the duck!

I also need a name for the baby Chick. He appears to be a male Rhode Island Red. Any suggestions?

You can name the chick after something that relates to performing and acting sort of things, wouldn't you also have to wait to see the gender?

Also off the name topic where would you get a clicker?

Back
Top Bottom