Hello everyone!

boxfullofstars

Hatching
Jul 28, 2015
Eastern Kentucky.
Greetings from eastern Kentucky and from a former lurker lol! Also, from a city girl more than happily turned country by marriage!

I am currently the first time mommy to 20 Red Star biddies. Yes, you read that right. I said 20 beautiful and rambunctious (to say the least) 1 week old Red Star chicks! 15 hens and 5 roosters - 3 of which will have to be re-homed if they make it all to adulthood; fingers crossed. They were hatched the 20th of this month and I received them from Murray McMurray Hatchery on the 23rd in perfect health after much fretting and worrying on my part. I have my dear and darling husband to thank for keeping me as sane as possible during the time it took to get them in. Luckily, even though I may be a first time mommy, he has raised chickens off and on since the day he was born so I have an unending supply of support from my chicken savvy hubby. However, I have this website and some of you members to thank for what knowledge I have gleaned off the internet about chickens from when my husband wasn't home to answer my questions or where I felt my chicken talk was getting a bit on the obsessive side. Whenever I would type a question into Google search it would inevitably lead me here to one of the threads or forums. So, naturally I just had to join! THANK YOU to everyone for prepping me to handle pasty butt (which 2 of my male biddies had for only a short 2 days), coop inspiration, the best types of brooder bedding, and a numerous list of other things that have crossed my mind and or gripped my heart with fear in the dead of night. Hopefully my 'new mom' anxiety will come down with time. If I'm this bad with chicks, I'd hate to see how bad I'll be when I have real kids lol!

But enough about my chickens and myself for now, there will be plenty of time for that later I have no doubt! Thank you again for all the help y'all were providing without knowing it and thank you all for welcoming me to BYC! I hope to be a regular here and can't wait to delve deeper into this lifestyle!

By the way... What do y'all call your chicks? I've always been raised to call them just that, chicks. But since marrying my husband I've been converted into calling them the appropriate term here in these parts: biddies. Just curious to see what term the majority uses! Thanks again!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) I just call them "chicks." Red Star is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are laying machines. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from those 15 girls. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Red Stars.

We just call them chicks.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom