Hello Everyone!

SCFarmMom

Hatching
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and pretty new to raising chickens. I am a mother of 2 (ages 12 and 8) and I grew up on a small farm in SC with various animals, including chickens but they were just free range/barn chickens.

Last year at Easter we purchased a few chicks for our kids at Tractor Supply and built a small coop for the night and let them run free during the day. We enjoyed raising the chicks and sharing eggs so much that we ordered 25 RIR chicks directly from a hatchery this year and are buildings a new, bigger and nicer coop for our ladies.

We received our chicks Monday 2/2, losing one in shipping, one has a bad eye and deformed beak and two have died overnight without explanation. Oh and 8 have had pasty butt. So this whole buying from the hatchery appraoch has been much different. I've had to research everything from chick eye injuries, chick antibotics, what pasty butt is and how to treat it. Each time I search online I end up on this site, so I decided to join because you folks seem to have an abundance of knowledge to share. I'm very happy to have found this site and look foward to learning from yalls experience and wisdom! :)

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you are having problems with your chicks :hugs
The learning centre has lots of excellent articles on the problems you are having, here is the link if you havnt already checked it out https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks I hope they flourish for you. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Raising chickens is a great experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined the "flock."
smile.png

I'm sorry that you're having some problems with your new chicks!
hugs.gif
I hope the rest of them are okay and you don't have any more problems.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your losses, good luck with the rest of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom