Hello fom Germany!

Gardenalex

Chirping
Sep 24, 2015
Hello,

this is my first year with chickens. So I have a lot to learn, and that is the main reason why I created an account here.

I started in April with some eggs that I bought from ebay. I know they can be very tricky, and they were.
roll.png
Out of 10 eggs 6 fuzzy butts made it. I expected Red Wyandottes, but what did I get???
Nope, not six Wyandottes, but two (one of them was a rooster). Beside of the two Wyandottes I got a huge Newhamphire chick, and three Rhode Island Reds.
I few weeks ago I had to fulfill my hardest decision. I had to kill my male Wyandotte, because he was very mean to my girls, and was raping my Welsumer chicks (the only one that give me some eggs at the moment). They lost weight and got shy, and hided everywhere they could from my "man". As I said, it was the hardest decision, even more harder because I loved him. He was very sweet to me, too sweet someone told me.

I hope I could learn much more here about my sweeties.
Beside, i had to go out to them right NOW, before they were sitting on one of my trees and a had to pick up the ladder again.

Till later...
wee.gif

Alexandra

Hi :welcome Alexandra

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid having boys is the downside of incubating and hatching eggs. I know just how you feel at having to cull the boys I have the same feelings everytime it has to be done. Only last week 5 more of my boys had to go as I still just had too many and there were no takers for them. I give mine a couple of weeks advertised free to good home and if they don't find a new family they are quickly dispatched. Doing this is hard but I know they have had a happy life, being well loved and cared for. The end is quick.

Have you checked out the learning centre? Lots of great articles to check and plenty of learning to be had. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I hope you are enjoying your flock, especially now that you don't have to worry about the rooster bothering them.

Thanks for joining us!

Thank you for your warm welcome.
ya.gif

I have started another thread and perhaps you would likely take a look at my new chicks. With these my little group is fullfilled. Hopefully.
droolin.gif

I have seen here so many great pics of the BLRW that i could not resist. Even without knowing if they are male or female, I am hopefull that i will not get 5 males out of 6 chicks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1022897/blue-laced-red-wyandotte-boy-or-girl

Back
Top Bottom