Hello, forum ! Nice to meet you.

Oct 26, 2022
Virginia, United States
Hello ! This account is being run by Mathias at Backyard Alchemist. It's nice to meet you.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
While we're not exactly new to chickens, this is the first flock that we're managing by ourselves. We got our first batch of chickens in March of this year, and a second batch in September.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We currently have five chickens; four laying pullets (not quite a year old yet) and a seven-week-old cockerel.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Three Black (Jersey) Giants, one Buff Orpington, and one Olive Egger.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Currently, we're quite tickled by the chickens' quirks; their personalities, and the way that they interact with their humans.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I (Mathias) spin yarn, crochet, sew, draw, read, and I'm hoping to move to weaving and cold process soapmaking. I'm also quite fond of games, and all the crafts involved with them - video, tabletop, card, I adore them all. Of course, we grow food as well.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We've got a few other pets, like a cat and a reptile. Our relatives also have sheep and chickens. I quite like sheep. We're also going to experiment with silkworms next year !

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I've been reading this forum for a while, in the run up to introducing poultry to the farm. So, probably about a year until I finally pulled the trigger and purchased chicks ! I love forums and appreciate all exchanges of information/knowledge. The frequent posters here seem incredibly kind and helpful.

Hello ! This account is being run by Mathias at Backyard Alchemist. It's nice to meet you.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
While we're not exactly new to chickens, this is the first flock that we're managing by ourselves. We got our first batch of chickens in March of this year, and a second batch in September.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We currently have five chickens; four laying pullets (not quite a year old yet) and a seven-week-old cockerel.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Three Black (Jersey) Giants, one Buff Orpington, and one Olive Egger.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Currently, we're quite tickled by the chickens' quirks; their personalities, and the way that they interact with their humans.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I (Mathias) spin yarn, crochet, sew, draw, read, and I'm hoping to move to weaving and cold process soapmaking. I'm also quite fond of games, and all the crafts involved with them - video, tabletop, card, I adore them all. Of course, we grow food as well.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We've got a few other pets, like a cat and a reptile. Our relatives also have sheep and chickens. I quite like sheep. We're also going to experiment with silkworms next year !

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I've been reading this forum for a while, in the run up to introducing poultry to the farm. So, probably about a year until I finally pulled the trigger and purchased chicks ! I love forums and appreciate all exchanges of information/knowledge. The frequent posters here seem incredibly kind and helpful.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom