Hello friends! Here from the capital of North Dakota

The Coop-D-etat

And to you good madame, I ruffle mine Feathers 🐓
Feb 6, 2021
Bismarck, North Dakota
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?- No, had some a few years back but moved to ND and now will getting some here in March!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?- None :hit

(3) What breeds do you have?- Will be getting Barnevelders, Speckled sussex, and black Australorps.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?- They're fun, relaxing, and give you a sense of most of all our past roots...even if it's just a little.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?- Gardening, camping, Self Sufficiency, cooking, and chicken keeping (duh) lol

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.-well I moved to ND From Washington state about 5 years ago took an opportunity that paid off. I work as a 3D graphic designer for a landscaping company that allows potential customers to see a full sale 3D rendering of what their yards could possibly be :D I just recently moved to the outskirts of town on 5 acres with many established fruit trees, grapes, and to my surprise asparagus! So I have built my coop that I have name 'The Aviary Prarie' (I thought it was clever regarding where I live now:rolleyes:) and the moment is soon at hand to where I can finally have chickens again so close March 15th!!!!! Im getting very impatient as of now. I have two dogs a husky-lab mix named Iyza she is my baby girl and a pure breed WHITE German Shepard named Glacier he is my 'Big Oof' and one cat who is queen of crabbiness her name is Cara and I love her nonetheless. I'm hoping to make some good friends on here as all my co-workers and friends here eventually begin to roll their eyes at me whenever I talk about chickens (cause it's constant)if any of them ever have questions they always come to me :clapso let's make and be friends my fellow Chicken Tenders! (LOL original I know)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D- I have know about BYC for quite some time now and have used it before very helpful and informative. I did have an account here yet it has been lost to my lack of keeping up on passwords and log in info yadda yadda. So I'm not new in a sense of fresh to this site. But nonetheless I'm excited to start this again with my new flock by My side :clap ALSO PLEASE send me photos of your flocks and coops as it really curbs my excitement to get my birds!! It's relaxing seeing others flocks and coops

Last edited:
Hey from Washington state Welcome back glad you had the job opportunity and all panned out .. enjoy the new flock
Thanks! Couldn't be more happy how things turned out. Although I have to say getting use to the terrain and geography compared to somewhere as diverse as Washington state was quite the shock. I do go back about twice a year for friends and family. Thanks again!

• Welcome back to BYC! :welcome I can imagine how excited you are, I have stopped owning chickens for a few years now and I will have some hatch in about two more weeks so I know the excitement. Where will you be getting yours f

Welcome back to BYC! :welcome I can imagine how excited you are, I have stopped owning chickens for a few years now and I will have some hatch in about two more weeks so I know the excitement. Where will you be getting yours from?
Thank you very much! I'm glad you asked actually! I have never done this before and I'm quite nervous about it. I decided to oder online through my pet chicken.com when I had some birds before I just went through a hatchery that was within driving distance. But here they sell your very common birds i.e RIR which don't get me wrong they are awesome birds in their own right but my favorites are Barnevelders and speckled sussex. And the Black Australorps are a new venture for me. But as I said this whole 'through the mail' thing is new and makes me nervous for the birds even though it's express over night. I still find myself thinking about everything that COULD go wrong. I know it's a common thing to do and all but USPS is awful in all regards at least here that is. And I know losses are inevitable and can happen. And that they refund any losses. But still getting only eight birds to begin with isn't to many. I plan on letting them hatch their own if one happens to go broody.

Thank you very much! I'm glad you asked actually! I have never done this before and I'm quite nervous about it. I decided to oder online through my pet chicken.com when I had some birds before I just went through a hatchery that was within driving distance. But here they sell your very common birds i.e RIR which don't get me wrong they are awesome birds in their own right but my favorites are Barnevelders and speckled sussex. And the Black Australorps are a new venture for me. But as I said this whole 'through the mail' thing is new and makes me nervous for the birds even though it's express over night. I still find myself thinking about everything that COULD go wrong. I know it's a common thing to do and all but USPS is awful in all regards at least here that is. And I know losses are inevitable and can happen. And that they refund any losses. But still getting only eight birds to begin with isn't to many. I plan on letting them hatch their own if one happens to go broody.
Those barnevelders have nice looking plumage! I had a black australorp pullet a few years ago and I liked her plumage as well.

Most of my flocks that I've owned through the years are from hatcheries so I know the fear of having shipped chicks too. I believe I have ordered once from mypetchicken and didn't have any issues. I have not had one dead chick from the 4 or 5 times I ordered chicks. I hope nothing but the best for your chicks and that they arrive safe.

Did you get all pullets? Have you ever had a broody chicken? In all my years of owning chickens I only had one white chochin broody lol

Welcome to BYC! So glad you decided to join us!
chickn emoji.gif

Back
Top Bottom