Hello from 7th heaven farms

7th heaven

Hatching
Jun 28, 2015
Hello everyone,
I thought I would say hello and thank everyone for the advice I've read so far and hope i might be of help to someone else one day. We are just starting off and are looking to get into supplying the local markets with meat and eggs. If anyone has any info that might help us break into those markets would be very helpful.
Thank You

Welcome to BYC!

We used to go to a weekly farmer's market to sell our extra produce. The vendor that had a table next to us sold eggs and he talked once how several others at the same market did too but he was able to charge a bit more and sell more of his eggs because his stood out in the crowd. Some of the things he did:

* His table and tent were very tidy and eye catching (he'd hang different reflective things that would flutter in the breeze and put up really colorful signs)

* He sold his as free range and organic and could clearly explain to customers what that meant

* His egg cartons weren't plain Styrofoam, they were color cartons, personalized with the name of his operation on them

* He would take time to talk about his chickens if someone was interested...breed facts, amusing stories, etc.

* Sometimes he would have photos of some of his layers displayed (poster size)

This guy was actually drawing egg business away from some of the other vendors and doing quite well. We haven't been to that particular market since last year but I think he's still there, still selling lots of eggs.

I hope you do well, keep us posted on how things are going.

thank you for the info it does make sense and ill make sure to keep that in mind when i start getting eggs i still have a little wait but it won't be much longer

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! NorthFLChick has left you some great tips on getting started at the markets. You might also like to stop by the where am I where are you section of the forum for your state thread. There may be other chicken keepers close to you who could offer you mate advice. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new venture, I hope it all works out well for you.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Some flair and salesmanship can really make a difference. Some folks like to post pictures of their "happy hens," showing them in the coop or outside and not caged like commercial egg sellers.

Another plus for selling eggs is even if you just take of pic of an egg from your chickens cracked on a plate next to an egg from the grocery store.

Color and height of the egg yolk will be noticeably different. The coop egg will have a bright orangey color compared to yellow from the store and the coop egg will be raised up above the egg white the store egg will almost be level with the white.

Good luck

I thank all for the reply's and want yall to know it is appreciated. I was also wondering if anyone might know where i might be able to find some gold laced or lemon orpingtons and we are also looking for some French Black copper morans. we cant seem to be able to find any at the moment. but i also think it might be just that time of the year .

I thank all for the reply's and want yall to know it is appreciated. I was also wondering if anyone might know where i might be able to find some gold laced or lemon orpingtons and we are also looking for some French Black copper morans. we cant seem to be able to find any at the moment. but i also think it might be just that time of the year .

You can try on the state thread @Yorkshire coop gave you a link to, maybe you'll find someone close by you.

Once you have 20 posts, you can use the buy-sell-trade section of BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

There's a free re-homing thread too: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing

Good luck finding the birds you want!

Back
Top Bottom