Hello from Alabama...I need help with nest sharing......

FarmGirlPam

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 9, 2016
Lower Alabama
My husband and I have had chickens for years, we've added turkeys to our flock and they all get along fine. This year we have added geese and ducks. This time of year they are all laying. My concern is my turkeys (I have to females) and my one female goose are all laying in the same nest. I even saw the two turkeys in the nest at the same time today. I watched my goose to see her reaction to the turkeys in her nest, she didn't seem to mind. Of course the turkeys were laying there first. My concern is when they actually start sitting. Should I move the turkey eggs to another nesting spot and if I do will they go to the new nest? They are laying in a place we made for the goose that is a half of a plastic barrel full of hay and has a cover. I have two more made and was thinking of putting the turkey eggs in another one and showing it to the turkeys......

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Your half a barrel sounds very popular!! They all must feel very safe in there. I've not keep turkey or geese but I'm guessing unless they are seperate they may continue in that popular nesting spot. As for adding to the nest when someone is sitting you could mark eggs that are being incubated and then you know of any new that have been added. Removing new ones is easier then. Please do pop by the other poultry section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/66/other-backyard-poultry
I'm sure the turkey and geese keepers will be able to help you there.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif

I've never raised turkeys or geese but if they're anything like my chickens, they all seem to want to use the same "best" nesting box to lay in. That "best" box can change from time to time so I wonder if you do put more of your nests out, if the other birds won't use them too. I think Yorkshire coop is on the right track about splitting them up some way.

Good luck to you, hope it all works out well.

Thanks Yorkshire coop for the link and info. On my nesting boxes, I actually have three out for them to nest in, they seem to like just the one though.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom