Hello from Austin TX!

Welcome from texoma! I love that you're trying to make an educated decision on which birds you want. For us, after clearly defining our needs and abilities, we found that the delawares were our dream breed. They're hard to find tho and a threatened breed (check out the livestock conservatory lists for more on that) so when the time to buy our flock came it was all about what we could afford out of what was available in breeds that were the closest fit. Ended up with a Delaware rooster by accident and he's a dream!!!
If I can make a recommendation a great all around book to help you understand all things chicken is "the small scale poultry flock" by Harvey ussery. When we first started researching I began on a permaculture website but they quickly pointed to that book and this site for the hard hitting facts and a conglomeration of serious experience on the many many topics of fowl.
I love these beautiful chicken people! I've even managed to get oodles of help locating fellow dellow enthusiasts
I think the most awesome thing about chickens is that there's a breed of chicken for nearly every lifestyle. I hope you find your perfect fit and welcome again

Last edited:
Welcome from texoma! I love that you're trying to make an educated decision on which birds you want. For us, after clearly defining our needs and abilities, we found that the delawares were our dream breed. They're hard to find tho and a threatened breed (check out the livestock conservatory lists for more on that) so when the time to buy our flock came it was all about what we could afford out of what was available in breeds that were the closest fit. Ended up with a Delaware rooster by accident and he's a dream!!!
If I can make a recommendation a great all around book to help you understand all things chicken is "the small scale poultry flock" by Harvey ussery. When we first started researching I began on a permaculture website but they quickly pointed to that book and this site for the hard hitting facts and a conglomeration of serious experience on the many many topics of fowl.
I love these beautiful chicken people! I've even managed to get oodles of help locating fellow dellow enthusiasts
I think the most awesome thing about chickens is that there's a breed of chicken for nearly every lifestyle. I hope you find your perfect fit and welcome again
What a beautiful breed!

Back
Top Bottom