Hello from Costa Rica

toucan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Costa Rica
Hi All,

I just joined the forum today. I'm originally from Chicago, but I have been living in Costa Rica for about five years now.

I have a couple properties here in Costa Rica and I'm just getting started breeding and raising chickens, pheasants and quail and I plan to expand my project to include turkeys and peafowl as well. My favorite breeds of chickens are Polishes and Silkies and I'm getting interested in several other breeds. The problem I'm having is finding pure-breds. Most people in Costa Rica are not interested in preserving the different breeds and so it's hard to find anything that is pure here. With the bird flu scare, it's impossible to import anything from the US or elsewhere here now as well. I'd love to locate other BYC members in Costa Rica or nearby Panama or Nicaragua to see if they're having success finding pure breeds.

Drop me a line to say Hi....I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone! Hablo Ingles y Espanol.

Pura Vida,
Mike

Toucan, welcome to BYC. I'm sure you will find lots of advice here. There are a lot of European and south Pacific members, but not so many Central and South American members. Maybe more will join when they see you.

Hey Mike!
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!

b.hromada :

Hey Mike!
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!

Hey there B.Hromada

I lived in Cutler Ridge in the early 90s until Hurricane Andrew destroyed the neighborhood. Lived in Miramar after that. I was always an apartment dweller then so I didn't have space for outdoor animals. Now I have plenty of space....it's the time and money that are scarce at the moment.

m​

Quote:
Hey There

I live in the province of Cartago but I have rain forest properties near Sarapiqui, Quepos and Golfito. Right now, all my birds are on the property near Golfito.

Welcome from cold Canada!
BYC may need a Spanish section of the forums to get members from Central America.
The rest of us can give you lots of helpful advise, but not on where to get pure breed chickens in the Caribbean / Central American area.

Back
Top Bottom