Hello from Gold Coast Australia

mooandmcgee

Chirping
Mar 25, 2016
My name is Corry and we have just become chicken owners. We have three girls in our backyard flock 2 Orpintons, wanted Buff but settled for a Black and possibly a Blue (this breed is really hard to find where we are). As well as a Splash Australorp. Ella, Rosie and Carla.
263a.png

My little Carla (Orpington) is a bit of an ugly little thing. The poor girl is smaller then the other two & isn't as fluffy. Parts of her neck are bald and she just generally looks scruffy. I have taken them to the vet and there is nothing wrong with her per say but wondering if there is anything I can do to help her in appearance? Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us and congrats on your new flock.

Could you post a pic of Carla and give us her age?

Since she is smaller, I wonder is she getting enough protein/feed to form those feathers or is she being feather picked? Or she could be mixed breed?

welcome-byc.gif

I agree with sunflour...she could be a different breed or she could be getting pecked by the other, larger birds. A photo would be helpful.

Thanks for joining us, hope all goes well for you!

This is Carla at 2wks but is a good picture of her neck. It still really looks the same now a week later

These are the girls now at just over 3wks old. In the first picture Carla is on the left, in the second she is on the right. I seriously hope she isn't a different breed or a cross
1f610.png
as she was sold to me as a pure Orpington. Thank you for your help. Do either of you think I should put this on a different board to possibly get more opinions?

Last edited:
She is a cutie, I hope you can discover what is keeping her back. You can also post on "Australia, six states and one funny little island." Maybe someone from your area would know about her type of feather loss, etc.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom