Hello From Hot Springs National Park!

HausDerRogers

Hatching
Feb 11, 2016
Hi! I am the matriarch of the Rogers Family, and we live in the beautiful Ouachita Mountains, near the heart of Hot Springs National Park.

My husband, daughter, son, and I just bought our forever home over the summer of 2015. With our beautiful little home came an acre and a half of land, and one day soon, we hope to (alright, fine...*I*, heh) raise some chickens.

I have an opportunity to hatch some chicks, because a friend's landlord wants to just give her some eggs. She's said they've all been candled and are growing.

I'm excited and nervous. I don't know if I will even take the opportunity, yet.

I DO NOT have a proper coop or even a fence. I do have a nice sized shed, but it's not rodent proof. Large rodent, I mean. I do not have an incubator. I've read about hatching them with a "homemade" incubator, but I don't think I'm that....ambitious....especially considering I've *never* hatched chickens before. I've had grown chickens (ahem, I bought them for my parents, as I was in college and obviously couldn't keep them in my dorm room).

So I guess over the next little while, I'll think about whether or not I want to raise babies from eggs, and think about how to do it safely. I obviously don't want to take on babies if I can't give them a good, safe life, but I'm also excited about the prospect of starting my little farm.

Nice to meet you all!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on getting to your forever home :celebrate Over an acre of land sounds fantastic and I'm sure you will enjoy your new chicken adventures very much. There are pros and cons to both buying in started birds and hatching your own chicks. The learning centre would be a great place to pop by for you, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I was born in Hot Springs, AR, and raised by my grandparents there for the first 5 years of my life. Even after my parents moved me to Texas, I used to go back to Hot Springs every summer and holiday and stay with my grandparents and I still love that area of the country. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have decided to join us. Congrats on your new home - it must be very exciting times ahead for you all.

Cheers
CT

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

WOW !!! Talk about a beautiful place to live. Wasn't that like
the first national park?

It just amazes me with all the wonderful place the members of
this site live. All over the world, in some of the neatest places
on earth.

I hope you do decide to raise chickens. It's that much fun. But
even if you don't do chickens right now, stay around on the forums
and tell us about your area, your life. Let us be your friends, we'll
help guide in chicken-raising.

Spook

Back
Top Bottom