Hello, from Iceland!

IcyLady

In the Brooder
May 6, 2016
South Iceland
Hello BYC!
My name is Brandi, I am from Iceland and I am not only new here to BYC but also new to chickens in general.

I wasn't going to own any chickens until next year BUT....

My 11 year old daughter's class started incubating 12 eggs on April 4th and by the 21st and 22nd of April they ended up with 9 little Icelandic "Viking" Chicks!
Each group (three) in her class were in charge of three chicks to take care of, and my daughter ended up falling in love with a little chick they named Mörgæs.
So, I snooped around a bit to find out who was going to own the chicks when the class was done, and magically enough I knew someone who was friend's with the owner of the babies.
I did what any sane mother of an Autistic child would do.. and managed to get "custody" of Mörgæs (and three friends!!!!).
I love watching my daughter take care of and bond with these little babies. It's a sweet deal, and of course I am here to guide her and help (along with my husband and two younger sons).
Currently they are living in my bedroom with a heat lamp and all until it is warm enough to start introducing them outside (and we manage to build our coop for them)

So here I am to learn! Completely new to the world of raising chicks and chickens! I hope I can learn a fair bit from BYC. I have been browsing a couple days and decided to sign up to say hello and hopefully get advice. :)

welcome-byc.gif
Great to have you with us! Lots of great people here that should be able to help you.
smile.png

Hello IcyLady!! I have been in Reykjavik for the last 3 days for a short business trip and I'm going back to the U.S. today. I didn't have nearly as much time to visit more places but from the places I did visit, I will say this is probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen. I was interested to know how easy or difficult it is to raise chickens here because of the terrain and whether climate conditions pose an issue. Our hotel served eggs at the buffet breakfast. Are eggs commonly eaten here or is it something only served at hotels to accommodate visitors who are used to it?

Hello IcyLady!! I have been in Reykjavik for the last 3 days for a short business trip and I'm going back to the U.S. today. I didn't have nearly as much time to visit more places but from the places I did visit, I will say this is probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen. I was interested to know how easy or difficult it is to raise chickens here because of the terrain and whether climate conditions pose an issue. Our hotel served eggs at the buffet breakfast. Are eggs commonly eaten here or is it something only served at hotels to accommodate visitors who are used to it?

Hi mechanic57!
I am still very new to the whole chicken scene here in Iceland but it seems to be an easy ordeal for most of the Icelanders to be having them.
I know of a handful of people in my area (I live in the south- near Mt. Hekla area) that are raising chickens. Maybe I am over thinking things, and worry far to much unlike the few people I know around here. They make it all seem so laid back and easy going, and I am constantly stressing out and checking on my chicks to make sure they are not cold or uncomfortable. Even my daughter's teacher has mentioned that I was able to send them out a bit 2 weeks ago and have them in a coop! I thought she was downright mad, but I guess that's Iceland for you. haha

As for your egg question, I can tell you that in most bakeries you can go in and get some sort of sandwich with either an egg based salad of sort on it, or hardboiled eggs on toast/ bread and even I have seen omelettes in the sandwiches. I have never really seen it served scrambled or alone though!
Oh and in this area we can get "slummy burgers" which has extra hamburger sauce,extra cheese, extra bacon, and fried egg on the burger (if you are like me, it's best with Bernaise sósa and can be ordered).
So.. eggs are a bit common, but not used like the USA would use them. :)

If you are ever around Iceland again and venture out of Reykjavik- let me know. I can always suggest stuff for you! (I play tourist all the time since Iceland isn't my original country!)

Last edited:
I would love to come back to visit some day and would definitely want to explore further inland away from the cities. I was only there 3 days and it was a last minute issue that caused us to be sent there so I didn't have much extra time. I'll try to remember to message you if I get a chance to go back on vacation/holiday.

Back
Top Bottom