Hello from Illinois!

drummondfarm

Hatching
Jul 1, 2022
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I have been around chickens all my life.. Grandparents always let me raise one or two at home and then take to the farm when it was bigger. My first flock of chickens came after marrying the farm(er). This farmhouse already had a coop and barn etc. built in 1800s so it was all I needed! Hubby was 100% new to them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Currently have a dozen but that number goes up and down since there are occasionally predators or people give us unwanted hens. We had horrible fox issues this spring.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We really love them all and have had so many different ones from bantam to brahma. Currently its reds, Americana and couple barred rocks. Also 3 white Chinese goslings.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I find them so peaceful to watch and care for them. I love the sounds and the different personalities. I love that they eat all our leftovers and nothing goes to waste. I love that they gift life to our non-working farm.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Swim taxi for my sons, scrapbooking, gardening flowers and veggies, watching YouTube homesteaders. lol You asked! lol

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a mom to 14yr old twin boys, we were foster parents for 10yrs till we got and eventually adopted our boys. My hubby is on his second career as a Nurse Practitioner and I am no longer in the workforce. I have an autoimmune disease that causes me to have limited mobility but I do putter around outside and the goslings are my pure joy this year! I cant believe how much love they can show me. I didn't expect that from geese. In my heart I would love to be a bird rescue but I don't want to do anything too huge so therefore I don't know how to get started. We have a house dog and a house cat. My husbands hobby is house projects and keeping the coon and groundhog population low.. very low. even lower preferably! haha My ultimate goal in life is to have a donkey. Hubbies says no. :-( I'm trying to convince him I need the donkey to protect the goslings now. :-D He isn't biting yet.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC by a google search and thought I was already a member but evidently not. I am now! :) I joined because the best advice is the tried and true advice from someone who has lived it! I often need good advice! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom