Hello from Kentucky!

Moe Jr

In the Brooder
May 17, 2024
Hi all! Brand new member here, and I picked up seven chicks last week from Mt. Healthy. I bought an Insta Brooder with a heat plate (Amazon) and its been working out well but the girls are growing and I'll have to come up with roomier accommodations before too long--projected date to move outside into the coop/run is third week of June.
Meanwhile, I'm loving this experience, and I appreciate the wise counsel I'm finding here. I have a question for all of you experienced chicken folk: what happens when you need/want to travel? A friend across the country recently reached out and said she'd rehomed her chickens so she and her husband could travel; others have said that once the chickens are established, they become somewhat self sufficient. How do you all handle travel? What can I incorporate into my plans now to make this doable?
Thanks in advance!
Moe Jr

Welcome to BYC, Moe. If you want to travel:
1. Do not fall victim to chicken math.
2. Do not scrimp on space in either the coop or the run
3. Do cover your run top to bottom with 19ga 1/2" hardware cloth
4. Make sure you buy self sufficient breeds that will cohabitation well. Stay away from needier breeds and crested breeds that may get picked on unless you intend to stick with only those type birds.
5. Keep only one, or no roosters at all
6. Don't buy breeds with broody tendencies.
7. Buy good quality waterers and feeders and at use least 2 of each.
I'm sure there are more do and do not rules, but those are the ones I'd pay most attention to.

Hi @Moe Jr :frow

I built my coop to allow the chickens to come out and go in the coop a they please. There is enough security to protect the chickens from the predators in our area. We have hardware cloth around the coop and it goes below the surface to protect against predators that like to dig. There is enough food and water to accommodate the chickens for up to 3 days.

I also have a neighbor to assist with the chickens when we are away for longer periods. We have a relationship where as though we are willing to help each other with our livestock.

Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom