Hello from Kentucky!

Great looking chickens! Thanks for the advice! I may look into getting some of those ducks as well to try the eggs but I am for sure wanting the Rouen ducks but I mostly want those ducks for pets :) they are supposed to be very friendly.

You're welcome. I've never had ducks but I've had geese and really loved them, beautiful and interesting creatures. You might want to check out Ancona chickens too. They are a lot like Legorns but they are a really pretty black with white spots which is better to keep predators from getting them. Best of luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif

Hello! I am from BG! I am a silkie addict!
I am expecting two orders of silkie eggs tomorrow for the incubator; some from FL and the other from TN. I am getting sizzle eggs and red silkie eggs.
I have not had much luck but finally have realized my humidity issue was that it was too high and I am expecting a successful hatch this time.
My goal is to have lots of unique sizzles running around.

I currently have two sizzle roos and two silkie hens. I have one white silkie rooster and two black polish that are buddies with my original flock.

I have had a mystery stray dog come and kill a very special smooth feathered sizzle and two of my chicks. I have had a raccoon incident too so my start in creating my flock has been difficult.
I have built most of my pens myself which has been fun. I have learned a lot.
Above is my smooth silkie that some crazed dog came and destroyed!!! She was very sweet and pretty. ( I hatched her in the incubator.) I've never seen the dogs again. It also ripped into a wire cage and killed my kids rabbit leaving everything behind... not eating anything. The dogs laid all of their kill in one pile. It was crazy and terrible!

I have created myself a little barnyard area with my pot belly pig named PETA, two pigmy goats named Patches and Babe, two fantail pigeons, and my chickens. Although everyone at work thinks I am crazy, it is such a stress reliever! This is PETA's area. (I have decorated it a little since this picture.) She is very very sweet. I really love her! My family thinks I am crazy but she is one of my most favorite animals I've had and I have had a lot!!!

She is a lot bigger now, maybe 15 pounds, but so sweet. Due to such cold temperatures, I have had to heat her house and fill with blankets.

I plan on going to the Green River Poultry show in April. If you ever want to trade silkies, I would love to have a connection.

:)

@lisa whiteI'm so glad to learn that silkies can do well in Kentucky. I'm about a 45 minute drive from BG and I had read where silkies do poor in heat and was afraid to order any for fear that they would die. As you know ky can get up into the 100's during the summer with high humidity. Does this affect them at all? I've already ordered my birds for this year. I've got 15 white long horns, 12 Rhode Island reds, 3 white sultans, and 12 Rouen ducks coming in April. Definitely going to order some silkies next year though. My leg horns and reds are going to be used for my egg layers and hopefully the sultans will be more like pets.

Last edited:
I think sultans are really cool chickens!! I've thought about ordering some too but I'm at my limit for right now! :) I have two black polish with white heads... they are neat to watch!
I have 17 silkie eggs in the incubator right now... they were shipped so not sure how many will hatch. I know I will eventually need to share some of my chicks so save my information and I'll be glad to share. I am wanting sizzles and you have to have silkies for that. I have two sizzles now and I plan on breeding them with my others... I have one roo for sure and not yet sure about the other one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom