Hello from MA

mchdrum35

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 11, 2016
Hello from Groveland MA!

I am elementary school teacher and our school just started raising chickens. It has been a great experience at the school for all the students to see how the baby chicks grow! Great part of our science curriculum. I am joining because I adopted 7 of the 15 chickens because the school's coop cannot hold all 15 (and they were only permitted for 10). My wife and I have been debating about getting chickens and we finally have them now :) I have 3 little girls and they are super excited to have them. We are definitely newbies but we have been doing our research and glad to have the chickens with us now. I finished the coop and run last week and the birds seem happy inside :)

The chickens are used to children and were actually moved quite a bit from classroom to classroom in the brooder. We finally brought 7 of them home yesterday. They are about 6 or 7 weeks old. How long should I keep them in the coop before giving them access to the run? (The run is quite large 25'x8)

Thanks!

Matt

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on bringing a few little ones home from the school hatch! You can go ahead and let them out into the run at any time. It is the free ranging thing you want to withhold until they learn that the coop is home. But if the run is attached to the coop, go ahead and let them have some freedom! They will love exploring the big run. It's fun to watch them with their big eyes learning about their surroundings.

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about them, feel free to ask.

Enjoy your babies and welcome to our flock! :)

Hi Matt and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from TwoCrows, so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Nice to meet you Matt, glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. If you want to find out what you have - post photos at "what breed or gender is this."

Back
Top Bottom