Hello from Missouri

Madddawg

Chirping
Feb 2, 2015
Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone. After thinking about it off and on for years I decided to take the plunge and get some chickens. I asked my 8 YR old son one night if we got some chickens, would he take care of them and he could have the money from the eggs. He said "he would." I said "as soon as he stops taking care of them, guess whats for supper" ( he knew I was kidding)
So its done, The next week we went to Rural King And got 4 Golden Laced Wyandottes and 4 Barred Rock chicks. ( 4 more Buff Orpingtons are planned for next week when they come in). After searching around for chicken coop ideas I have a good idea of what I want to build.
I am in construction, A mason tender (hod Carrier) and I have access to dumpsters and plenty of scrap lumber. I have finally scavenged enough, I think, to build a 6'x12 coop. I paid $30 for a piece of vinyl flooring that size and $10 for 2 windows and a piece of glass 2' square. ( made my own frame and broke one window). I plan on framing it up in garage today ( its cold outside but warm in garage) and then take the walls down and reassemble on site.

Anyway I am done rambling. Looking forward to all the knowledge here. Time to get to work......

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Good luck with your new chicks! Wyandottes are my favorite breed of chicken. I've found them to be very hardy, quite docile, and very good egg layers. Your Barred Rocks should also lay you plenty of eggs.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have! We're all here to help in any way we can.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My 7 year old granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock (and your son). :eek:)

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You've got the skills I'm sure you will come up with a beautiful coop. If you take progressive photos& give descriptions please add them to the coop section for others to learn from.

Back
Top Bottom