Hello from N. Georgia

nheimberg

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Calhoun
Hi all. I live in NW Georgia. I have 2 small kids (ages 2 and 4). I am wanting a chicken house with some hens so badly. I am here to research breeds and learn all I can before I start this venture. I found the forum last night and was up until 3 am laughing and reading posts. I am so excited about this. I just have to get my husband to help build a house for my future beauties. Im not looking to show. Just want a few companions for our family. We want some fresh eggs too.
After a visit to a petting zoo, Im thinking about Polish and frizzles. So pretty and so tame.

Thanks for reading this post. Im open to suggestions and advice.

~Natasha

welcome-byc.gif
Hi from NE Ohio, you've found a great place to start. Start small, and before long, you'll be a pro like so many others here.

welcome-byc.gif
from S. GA!!! Polish are great I have two ans soon eggs on the way but have you thought about Silkies? They are the best chickens I believe I will ever own.

Just to show how much I know...I thought Polish and Silkies were the same. Ive got tons to learn...lol
I do know I want a tame chicken that will allow my kids to interact/pick them up. (supervised, of course). They are kids afterall. My other question....cats....I have 3 outside cats. They come in when they want, but they prefer to spend most of their time outside. What has been anyones experience with cats and chickens. Will I have to keep their run completely covered? What about pest control in garden. My husband wants to plant a garden next year and were toying with the idea of letting the chickens have run of the garden for pest control.

~Natasha

Well I have a four year old son and Silkies, cochins, BOs, and LBs are the friendliest chickens I have and my son loves to play with. Yet just make sure you either get them as chicks or you get them from someone who handled them daily. Now if you want pretty much the friendliest chicken that I know of look for seramas they are pet chickens yet full blooded usually cost a pretty penny.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom