Hello from Nanaimo, B.C.

nanaimochick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 17, 2011
nanaimo, b.c.
Just joined the forum and hoping to find other backyard chicken keepers in Nanaimo, B.C. on Vancouver Island to chat with. Just got 6 chickens and they are all around 6-7 months old now with one just starting to lay. Yippee!

We live in Nanaimo - right now I have 5 chickens. A gold laced cochin, a wyndotte, one unknown and 2 sussex cross. My wyndotte was broody last year so we gave her 3 eggs to sit on (3 different breeds) - sadly all were roosters which we cannot keep in the city, so I gave them all away.
Where are you and what have you got for chickens?

welcome-byc.gif
from Illinois

We live in South nanaimo near the river and currently have 22 hens of many breeds, 1 frizzle rooster, 1 red-brown Amerecauna rooster, 24 blue/black Amerecauna 2 week old chicks and 6 3 week old Black Silkie Chicks. This time last year 1 had 5 ISA Browns haha chickens are very addictive!

I like chickens a lot more than cats - way more interesting and the eggs!  My neighbours cat always poops in my garden - my chickens don't do that :) 
Sure do wish the by-law would be upped to 10 chickens here in the city.  It's hard to keep good production with just 6 and now with one gone I don't really want to try to add just one new chicken into the group.  (I'm thinking two....  but that's a secret!)
Nice to chat with other Nanaimo chicken lovers!  Judy

I believe there is a whole section on the site for bylaws and how to work towards changing them. It doesn't really effect me but I completely agree that 6 hens does not provide enough for a family unless you cull and replenish every year and who wants to do that?

If you ever get something going and need support, let me know. :)

Back
Top Bottom