Hello from new BYC and chicken owner from virginia

Heranney76

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2015
Castlewood va
hello from a beginner chicken owner. i purchased 8 "12month" old partridge plymouth rocks. 7 hens and a roo. they are in a raised coop 4x8x4 2ft off the ground. 8x12 enclosed run with 3-14x14x14 laying boxes. well on the 2hr car ride home had a hen lay two or two lay one dont know exactly which one lol. well sunday they laid 3 eggs for the day and today only laid 1 egg. hmm dont know why or what happened the lady i bought them from said she got about 6 eggs a day everyday of the week but they only lay 5 days a week (different off days i assume) anyhow sorry for the long post. hello all fellow BYC members

Welcome to BYC. Chickens hate change. When moved to a new home a few eggs will be laid the first couple of days - those that were already 'in process' in the oviduct. Then the hens will take a break which may be days, weeks or in rare occasions even months. Your hens will lay again. Just be patient.

thanks for the helpful information. i assumed it was because of this. 1 they were free range now confined 2 totally new home 3 2hr car ride home. is there anything i can do to help them get used to here? i know partridge rocks are known for laying year round and for being broody and not aggressive all three traits i like. also they are dual purpose which i liked.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

You have a lovely flock! Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom