Hello from New Mexico.

The chicks are just chillen under the heat lamp when I checked on them this morning lol. I used to use an old plastic/fiberglass large dog crate but it doesn't provide as much ventilation as this does. I used the biggest one I have which is the huge one lol. I got it for my then 120lb lab so it's really big. I can't wait to start working on this coop. Y mind is going a mile a minute about it right now.

Better hurry on that coop! Chicks grow faster than the weeds! LOL

What breeds did you get? Did you get them from the Tractor Supply in town? I get mine from Harveys Feed Store in Ruidoso Downs.

I got the 6 Dark Brahmas from Tractor Supply here in town. They had red sexlink pullets, ancona and rir this last week. I don't want those breeds. I'm looking at the turkens, and easter eggers. I think the turkens are really cool looking, and the idea of different looking chickens that are kind of considered the same breed is cool too. I was going to work on the coop today but didn't get to it. Needed to do house chores lol. The brahmas are loving it out on the porch. I haven't heard a lot from them. They've been scratching around in the shavings, eating and drinking. I'm about to toss some scratch in, and give them some meal worms. See what they think of that. I love happy chicks. Then I don't have my hubby can't holler about them lol.

I think I just created 6 little monsters lol. I gave them an old bouquet of flowers that were dead and all 6 are climbing on them eating them lol. They're so cute with their happy chick peeps going on. I also found out what hatchery this TSC got them from and the hatchery has the Turkens, and Easter Eggers I want. The prices are about a 10th of what other hatcheries want. And the biggest kicker is they're here in NM! So $40 compared to $120 ii can do.

I think I just created 6 little monsters lol. I gave them an old bouquet of flowers that were dead and all 6 are climbing on them eating them lol. They're so cute with their happy chick peeps going on. I also found out what hatchery this TSC got them from and the hatchery has the Turkens, and Easter Eggers I want. The prices are about a 10th of what other hatcheries want. And the biggest kicker is they're here in NM! So $40 compared to $120 ii can do.
Feed stores try to get chicks at the closest hatchery to them. Privett Hatchery is where most of the chicks come from. All my birds are from Privett. I have had nothing but healthy birds from them.

LOL....yes, babies sure are cute at this age. Enjoy their peeps now. Soon they out grow these and begin clucking and growling. LOL Or worse yet, Crowing!!!
barnie.gif
lol.png

I got chicks from McMurray the last time I got them and they weren't healthy. My Brahmas seem to be very healthy, and curious of everything lol. I might have to get everything done soon so they can go into the run and really have fun lol. I just need to put hardware cloth around the dog run to have that area to explore. I need to finish bringing everything from the old coop and run up here and get down to the business of building my coop. Oh I did find out if I get Turkens, and EEs from Privett I would get them in May. Plus a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Last edited:
I never got live birds from Murray McMurray. I have gotten quail hatching eggs. I have had great luck with them however. Good to know the live birds may not be all that healthy.

Good luck with your run building! Turkens sound fun. I have never kept them but they do look interesting. :)

I didn't know if it was legal for us to raise quail here. I would love to raise some. I have wild quail here on our land that usually stick around until after the hunting season because they know it's safe. We don't hunt our land, except an occasional coyote that decides they want to try and eat one of our cats. They usually get a surprise when my cats beat them up lol. My cats aren't small house cats. They're over 10lbs each, and having a pride of 4 or 5 kickin Wile E Coyote's butt is some funny stuff. They're good cats and haven't tried for the chicks well except my 2 kittens, but they're learnin.

Yes, you have lots of Gambels quail down here. I love their cute sounds! The always came to our wild bird feeders to clean up the fallen seeds when we used to live down in the desert. I was going to keep them up here but changed my mind and went with Bobwhites. It is legal to keep Gambels or Bobwhites but you need a license to keep them. Lots of red tape. LOL

Lots of coyotes up here too. We have a coyote den about 200 yards from the coop! LOL About 20 of them live in there. They come prowling occasionally at night but my coop is built like fort knox. LOL

Back
Top Bottom