hello from North west indiana

Brandy Jo

Hatching
Dec 12, 2015
I've been reading forums from this site since before I became a chicke momma. Glad I finally joined the group! Am wondering what breeds you all think are most friendly. I have 4 chickens hatched in June raised indoors with lots of handling and they still do not like to be touched or held? I give treats daily spend time in the run the love me talking to them they get very excited and pave back and forth when I'm coming they go nuts talking but hate being held. Any suggestions?

welcome-byc.gif

What breed of chickens do you have now? Sometimes it's a matter of each bird's personality more than their breed. For instance, I have 3 red sex link girls in my mixed flock, 2 of them hate being held and the other is the biggest cuddler of all my birds (she'd sit on my lap all day if I let her).

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) There can always be an exception with any breed, but breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (good lap pets) include Australorps, Orpingtons, Silkies, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to the flock!

What NorthFLChick said is SO true. Different chickens, same breed, different personalities! It seems the one that has the overall best reviews for being calm and sweet are the Australorps.

But here's an example...My friendliest chicken in my flock? One of my Andalusians! This breed is known for being flighty and nervous!
hu.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to the flock!

What NorthFLChick said is SO true. Different chickens, same breed, different personalities! It seems the one that has the overall best reviews for being calm and sweet are the Australorps.

But here's an example...My friendliest chicken in my flock? One of my Andalusians! This breed is known for being flighty and nervous!
hu.gif

That's funny you mentioned Australorps BB, because our worst behaved girl was one. She must have been the 1 out of hundreds with a behavioral problem, lol.

That's funny you mentioned Australorps BB, because our worst behaved girl was one. She must have been the 1 out of hundreds with a behavioral problem, lol.

My Australorp does not have much of a personality, though she is a little on the "flighty" side. I prefer our Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, and barnyard mixes in terms of who is the most friendly, though I do have to say that our Barred Rock gals aren't as nice to the other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom