Hello from Pennsylvania, new to chickens and eager to learn

Falesha13

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Central Pa
Hi, my name is Falesha, I'm 23, and I am addicted to researching chickens. I live in central Pennsylvania and I have never owned chickens before.

First of all I would like to say this is a wonderful and comprehensive site.

I am in the process of buying my first house (should be moved in by the new year) and I am planning on getting chickens in the spring. I would like to get EE chicks. I was wondering how many I should get? I already have a coop. The actual building part is 10 x 8 and the fenced-in area is atleast as big. I was thinking of getting 6-12 chicks. Also, does anyone know where I could buy EE chicks locally? I have already done some research about online hatcheries, but i would like to support my local economy if at all possible.

Well that is about it for now. I look forward to learning from everyone on here.

Last edited:
lol.png
Hi!

I got my chicks from Tractor Supply in the spring I dont know any place locally but I think there are a few more south east. I have 5 hens and its me and 2 kids, I get 2-4 eggs daily ( they just got going good when the cold weather hit) and its plenty for us, even with some to spare. I already have family in line for the extras when they get going good.

Welcome Falesha13 ! I live in NE PA. Pretty much been a rural-farm style life for me. So chickens have been a part of my life off and on since I was a little girl.

I have a variety of chickens. I hatched and inherited a nice young flock of EE's, that should start laying soon. I'd purchased my first ones earlier this spring. They often lay outside the nestboxes and aren't the best egg producers of my flock. They do add an interesting look to things though.

Since eggs are my primary goal, not sure if I'll keep them into the new year or not.

Hi Falesha
welcome-byc.gif

I'm East of Harrisburg just into Berks County. I don't have any EE's but I do occasionaly see them listed on my local Craigslist. You may want to check with your local feed stores as many have chicks in the spring and may be able to place an order for you. I had already placed my order with Ideal last spring and when picking up supplies for them discovered my local ag center orders from a local hatchery. I am very pleased with my Ideal girls but may go thru the ag center to order broilers next spring.
Good luck and you will be amazed at the amount of friendly people and great information here!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Also in North Eastern PA. We only have 3 EEs at the moment, but I'm looking for pullets/hens as well.

I'd second craigslist, unless you want to drive. Harley's Girl is in Ohio and has GORGEOUS birds.
wink.png

WELCOME to the very friendly BYC board!!
smile.png

These people here will answer all of your questions and they won't even charge for it. Where are you in PA?? I'm north of York

Thank you for the warm welcome and the helpful responses. I think I will just keep an eye out for local feed stores and such selling peeps this spring, maybe I will make a trip to the local ag auction too.

I guess I should have asked how many should I start with:)

Back
Top Bottom