Hello from Portland, TN

ranchchick389

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 29, 2014
Portland, TN
Hello,
Just joined in and so happy to have found this website. My family and I just got our first little flock of chicks. We have six 5 week Jubilee Orpington chicks. We were also gifted 2 gray silkies. They are so cute! Unfortunately, one of our Orpington chicks is having some sticky butt issues and I have noticed a weird growth protruding from its bottom. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your chick. Unfortunately, the photo isn't working for me, so I can't really see what's wrong. Maybe try posting the photo again?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

X2 on not being able to see the photo.

For pasty butt, you will want to soak the butt in warm water to get the poop off. Don't pull on it, just soak until it comes off. Put some probiotics in the water or apple cider vinegar. If you have any human probiotics you can use those too. Empty a capsule into a one quart waterer and fill with water. Make a new batch each day. For apple cider vinegar, use 3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to a plastic one quart waterer. Fill with water. Make a fresh batch daily. Soak the butt as needed, but usually either of these things in water helps with pasty butt. Dip the chicks beak in the water often. Many times pasty butt is caused by dehydration. So dip the beak once an hour or so for today.

The thing on his butt is probably his navel that is not healed over. Make sure none of the others bothers this little guy. It should heal up in the next day or so. Be very gentle when washing off the pasty butt. Don't rub or anything. Just soak and pat. Use a blow dryer to get the chick dry before you put her back in the brooder so she doesn't chill.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us.

I'm still a novice, but would not have expected pasty butt at 5 weeks old. Try again to upload a photo, a picture can really help get the best advice. If you can't get a photo to upload, describe what you are using mobile or pc and someone can help.

Welcome to BYC! Please make at home and we are here to help.

Pasty butt is a very common problem in chicks.
One of my Girls had pasty bottom and it was not the best sight. Pasty bottom is a matter in which the droppings become clogged in the chick’s body and around her vent enabling her to not pass anything. If not tended to presently, she may die. It’s usually caused by stress (if they were shipped in the mail) but there are other problems which include: Being too warm or too cold, being bullied by other chicks and/or chickens or not receiving enough food or water. My chick’s problem was that she was too cold, which caused her to be stressed. The best cure for pasty bottom is to run warm water on the chick’s bottom and with gloves, remove the dried feces and then apply coconut oil on and around her vent. Pasty bottom will more than likely continue to happen a few more times before it has completely stopped. Another thing to do is to put a teaspoon of sugar or dry gatorade in with her water as this will boost her whole body systems.

Good luck!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I can't see the photo, either. Two Crows and Mountain Peeps gave you some good advice as to how to treat pasty butt.

Good luck!

I've been cleaning her just ad advised since I got her. The pasty butt is a little better but that ball on her bottom is big and looks irritated closer to her vent. Eating and drinks well. Just worried its some kind of deformity.

Back
Top Bottom