Hello from Serpentine West Australia

CluckyLady

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 23, 2012
I am new to Chickens. My husband used to have chickens but I worked full time away from home at the time and didn't have anything to do with them other than eat the eggs
smile.png
This time the chickens are mine. I can't tell you what possessed me but a few weeks ago, I decided that we should have chickens and once I made that decision, the next one was that they should be 'breed' chickens. 2 weeks ago I bought 5 Australopes and 4 Welsummer chicks all just under 2 weeks old. While the chicks are growing in the dog whelping box, we are converting the dog run and kennel into a chicken palace. The dogs are happy with that arrangement as they've not been in that run for years - they live inside
big_smile.png

At the moment I am trying to guess what sex chicks I've got. (they are nearly 4 weeks old now) The ten million dollar question I guess
wink.png
I think that I may have one Welsummer rooster and 3 chicks but the Australorps are all the same so either all Roosters or all Hens ??? Is there anyone else who has Welsummer Chickens?

Hi there cluckylady, nice to meet you! I'm from NZ, I have no welsummers ... yet! and am much like you I had chickens when I was yonger, but not many, now I love them and want to breed them too. How handy that the dogs are living inside now ... I suppose it was that or the chickens.

My husband and I are not opposed to the idea of a house chicken - but it might have to wear a chicken diaper. lol.

I think I'd recommend dogs inside rather than chooks
lol.png
So far, I looooove my Welsummer chicks. There seem to be very clever - love their feathers too - very pretty.

Yes, I thought that was a girl too. Are you going on the head markings? I have one chick that does not have the V shape but I am pretty darn sure it's a girl. She is the smallest of the lot, not growing much comb but there is another difference in my Welsummer chicks that I am going on. The colour of the feathers on 3 of them is different from the colour of the feathers on the one I am pretty sure is a boy. The 'boy' is darker in his colouring as the feathers are coming through, he has a typical rooster comb (round and much larger than the others) - but the feathers are definitely different. One of 'the girls' (may actually be the one in the picture) is growing really big and is very, very 'out there'. I've called her Amelia Flyhard as she clearly has her pilot's license
wink.png
- she has loads of personality. Hoping she's a girl for sure.. No matter what, I love my 'wellies' I'l go and have a look at the suggested links and thread - thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom