Hello from SoDak

Birdbrainz

Chirping
Oct 2, 2021
Rapid City, SD
Hi there! I'm Lexie & I'm from the Black Hills, in South Dakota. I am a nurse by trade & engaged to a USMC veteran & firefighter. We recently made our dream come true of owning acreage & when he made the mistake of saying "You could get a couple chickens if you want" I let the obsession take hold.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to chickens, I got my first chicks from TSC in Feb 2021.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I currently have 25 chickens (4 roos & 21 hens), 5 ducks, & 5 guineas. (It started with 4 chicks & 2 ducklings, but chicken math)

(3) What breeds do you have?
Too many! Brahma, cochin, Ayam Cemani, Wyandotte, Orpington, Plymouth Rock, Sex Link, ISA Brown, Polish, Silkie, Maran, a mystery BB & I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
the therapeutic properties, 1 hour with my ladies has been more effective than months in therapy.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Currently, with the health situation in SD, we don't have much time for other hobbies, but we both enjoy being outdoors so hiking, camping, driving the trails in the side by side, shooting, etc. I used to garden & make jewelry & plan on taking that up again, once our schedules open up a little more & we get better settled in our new home. He is big on restoring vehicles, autocross, & drag racing; I am slowly getting into that as well. I, on the other hand, am a big time nerd; anime, manga, DND, etc.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I'm originally from Chicago, so I'm 100% new to rural life & so far, I'm NEVER going back. It's been a lot of work, but I'm loving it. We also own 4 very large dogs; Blue aka our House Hippo is an 11 year old blue pitbull, Mira is our 4 year old Dogo Argentino, Dozer & Missy Mae are their 2 year old pups. So, we have roughly 400 pounds of dog to welcome us when we get home from work. Yes, the animals vastly outnumber the humans.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I have been a lurker since before I got my chicks, every google search relating to chickens tends to direct to BYC & I've found a lot of answers here. I decided to join because I felt it would be more helpful in those "oh sh!t" moments if I could provide details & pictures. I try to stay away from social media or blog sites & lean more toward forums, ag sites, & DVM sites when looking for information, and this seemed to be the best forum site to find tried & true information.

Back
Top Bottom