hello from South Carolina :)

GinnyD2015

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2015
Hello :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

No, but I am not an expert and want to learn, which brought me here. I got my first four chickens 4 years ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Four chickens have now turned into about 60, with the majority of them being babies and roosters (hatched them out and got all roosters practically). I guess it's chicken math from what I am reading...

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have about 30 silkies and sizzles (22 roosters) and bantam cochins and bantam araucanas. I also have several other breeds in a novelty flock of 5- barred rock, easter egger, welsummer, and 2 seramas (my first flock that led me to my favorite breeds).

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

web search

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Anything horses, but in particular rehabbing off the track thoroughbreds.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I love dogs and really all animals. New to farm living and taking care of animals on my own. I am married, but my husband is not really an animal person. He tolerates them, but he doesn't want to care for them so I am on my own when it comes to all of the chores and all. He'd also like for me to reduce my rooster herd, which I guess isn't too unrealistic :)

Look forward to meeting everyone,
Ginny

Upstate South Carolina

Hello Ginny!
welcome-byc.gif
!!!!

Welcome to the flock! If you have any questions, just ask away. You will find that everyone here is very helpful, and friendly!
hugs.gif

Have a great day!
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC, Ginny! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Very, very nice intro! Sounds like you are really enjoying all that you do! That's so cool that you have a place to rehab thoroughbreds. And it sounds like you have a lovely flock! Good luck with them! Also feel free to ask any questions you may have. We look froward to chatting and hanging out with you here on BYC.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC, GInny. Glad you decided join our flock. You have a very good and thorough introduction. "Chicken math" has definitely struck big time in your case. Very few BYC members are immune to it. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Way too many roosters, do they do much fighting in the ranks? A rooster can handle 10 hens, so you would need to have many more girls. It's a lot easier to just divest yourself of quite a few roos. Have to side with your husband on that topic.

Back
Top Bottom