Hello from Tennessee

mct01

Chirping
Apr 11, 2016
Lascassas, Tn
My wife and I are new to chickens and this site. We bought 6 ISA Browns the day before Easter. They are about 2 1/2 weeks old. One dog incident but only scuffed her a bit. Still have 6 that look healthy and growing like crazy. We are using 2 large wire dog crates. The heat lamp clips on and the plastic tray makes cleaning easy. We have the scuffed one by herself in one cage since the others were pecking at her. Looking forward to learning as we go.

Very true that you have to watch the dogs around chickens.
Hate to read right off of a small attack.

And yes, the other chickens can pick on the weaker one, especially
is that scuffing drew a little wound. Isolation was the only choice, but
be aware that even when she heals and goes back with the others,
picking on her may resume for pecking order.

Just have to watch.

Meanwhile, welcome to the roost, make yourself at home and if you
need a question, don't be shy. Some of these here members are right
smart about chickens.

Spook

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. You certainly did the right thing by isolating the chick.

I hope that all goes well.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
CT

Hope your dog isn't prepping for a rematch. Hope you have good wire tops on the brooders. We hear frequently from newbies that their dog/cat massacred their chicks.
hit.gif

The chick has recovered and is back with the others doing great. Their coop is put together and I am about to build a base with wheels to sit it on so we can move it. I am going to put wire mesh on the bottom to keep anything from digging into the cage. We have a small 10 acre "hobby" farm and have just about any predator you can imagine. We were city people who moved to the country and really enjoy it. Started our cattle about 4 years ago and they are doing great. We have 1 Hereford bull and 3 black Angus cows so we are getting 3 calves a year. I have always wanted chickens so here we go. The dogs keep the coyotes away so it will be a balancing act with the chickens til they get used to them.

Back
Top Bottom